Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail

Hi... a curious issue - over the last week or so, attachments are not coming through with emails from a non-Apple user [who happens to be my biggest customer :-(]. True for Word and PDF attachments - instead there is only a tiny 'winmail.dat' icon ..... Attachments ok from other correspondents. Any ideas, because I am at a total loss. Issue encountered from this person on both my MacbookPro and iPhone....

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jan 20, 2022 12:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2022 3:01 AM

The culprit is likely to be your client's Outlook in Windows. The file is being sent in a format which only MS Outlook can read.

I came across this helpful webpage some time ago which I bookmarked, for just this question. Several options are offered. Suggest to your client that one of them should be used when sending email, at least to you.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2022 3:01 AM in response to Jenel

The culprit is likely to be your client's Outlook in Windows. The file is being sent in a format which only MS Outlook can read.

I came across this helpful webpage some time ago which I bookmarked, for just this question. Several options are offered. Suggest to your client that one of them should be used when sending email, at least to you.

Jan 20, 2022 10:28 AM in response to David McKinlay

Hi David.... thanks for your quick response. I don't think the solution fits.... the files are being sent in Word .docx format [and I myself use Word for Mac and send and receive files in .docx format all the times) or as PDFs and the problem is a new one.. I'll share your page with my client, so she can check her settings in the hope that we can resolve the issue. Thanks again, J.

Jan 20, 2022 6:39 PM in response to Jenel

Good luck. I don't pretend to know about Windows and, as I no longer work in an office, I don't have to use it.

For further reading look at this and this which are conversations discussing the same issue. It seems that despite the .docx format Outlook mangles the file in regards to making it understandable for mail on (some) Macs.

As a last resort you could share the file via some web space like Google Drive, as reluctant as I am to recommend it. Or if it is appropriate a collaborative shared Word document.

Report back on your findings. This question is bound to be asked again.

D

Mac Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.