Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air 2013 Trackpad press/click function failed

I have a very frustrating problem with the trackpad on my MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid 2013). The normal press-to-click function does not work, which also means I cannot hold down to drag-and-drop.

It started some time ago, no cause known (perhaps an automatic software update?). There is no visible sign of damage and no known incident of dirt or liquid ingress.

Everything works fine with a wired USB mouse.

I just replaced the trackpad and that did not solve the problem (!), so it seems to be something to do with software / firmware!

Symptoms:

. I can move the pointer using the trackpad

·  I can select by tapping if I enable the ‘tap to click’ option in the system preferences (using the mouse)

·  Nothing happens with a normal press on the trackpad

·  Holding down and moving (drag) does not work  

·  It is the same with all apps

I have already:

·  Checked the software is up to date (Big Sur 11.6.2)

·  Reset the SMC

·  Reset the PRAM

·  Changed the trackpad hardware (and cleaned around it inside).

That’s about everything I could find on the Internet!

Is there a fundamental problem with Big Sur on a 2013 MacBook Air?

MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 20, 2022 4:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2022 10:26 PM

Nobody thought of what should, in hindsight, have been the obvious solution! I stumbled across it by chance:

There is a small adjusting screw under the centre front of the trackpad that adjusts the travel of the trackpad and hence the click function. Somehow this had become loose. A couple of turns and the problem was fixed.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2022 10:26 PM in response to AndyEdinburgh

Nobody thought of what should, in hindsight, have been the obvious solution! I stumbled across it by chance:

There is a small adjusting screw under the centre front of the trackpad that adjusts the travel of the trackpad and hence the click function. Somehow this had become loose. A couple of turns and the problem was fixed.

Jan 20, 2022 10:46 AM in response to kaz-k

The diagnostic gives me a message PPT004 saying the battery needs servicing, which is odd since I just put in a new one, but nothing to do with the trackpad.

I have now erased the hard drive and reinstalled MacOS (Catalina this time because that is what my other computers have). Symptoms unchanged!

Looks like this is going to be something very obscure, deep in the hardware or firmware. Any ideas what to do next?

Macbook Air 2013 Trackpad press/click function failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.