Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music lossless hi-Res songs in my hi-fi system

Could you please let me know how to connect my iMac 27 (year 2020) to my Denon AVR X3400n to listen to hi-Res Apple Music? Is connection of iMac to a DAC, and then to Denon AVR, best way possibile? Can a Music streamer (like Cambridge Audio CXN v2 or Cocktail Audio N25) be used instead of a DAC, having same optimized output? Thanks and regards, Sergio

Posted on Jan 20, 2022 2:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2022 2:27 AM

Yes, music streamers offer a variety of options that can be handy (compatibility with AirPlay, Bluetooth, Roon, DLNA, etc.).

Moreover, often their DAC sections are really good and refined – better, I guess, than AV receivers counterparts (I have to say that I have no experience with AV receivers – it's just seems to me that an audio only device is more focused on audio performances).

You can definitely add a streamer carrying a good DAC in your system for music listening and keep the Denon for video usage. It makes sense, IMO.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2022 2:27 AM in response to Sergio Barbero

Yes, music streamers offer a variety of options that can be handy (compatibility with AirPlay, Bluetooth, Roon, DLNA, etc.).

Moreover, often their DAC sections are really good and refined – better, I guess, than AV receivers counterparts (I have to say that I have no experience with AV receivers – it's just seems to me that an audio only device is more focused on audio performances).

You can definitely add a streamer carrying a good DAC in your system for music listening and keep the Denon for video usage. It makes sense, IMO.

Jan 22, 2022 1:17 AM in response to Sergio Barbero

In order to play Apple Music in hi-res lossless a DAC is needed.

Both Cocktail Audio N25 and Cambridge Audio CXN v2 offer USB input to their DAC sections making them compatible with your iMac.

They are both streamers offering way more features than a "simple" USB DAC. Using them in a chain between your Mac and your Denon would be an overkill, in my opinion:

iMac -> USB -> Cocktail Audio N25/Cambridge Audio CXN v2 -> SPDIF -> Denon AVR X3400n -> Speakers

The Denon X3400n has a USB input (front panel): unfortunately it seems to be a data input only, meaning that it's used to read media files from external storage devices and not to be connected directly to its DAC section acting as an audio input. You can check out by yourself by connecting your iMac and see if it's recognized as an audio output device by your Mac.

Regardless the device used as a DAC, consider that Music app on Mac doesn't offer automatic sample rate switching (i.e. exclusive mode). If you're a bit perfect purist, you'd have to match manually the sample rate for every played track in Audio MIDI Setup on your Mac.

The counterpart Music app on iOS/iPadOS devices offers automatic sample rate switching when connected to a USB DAC.

Jan 22, 2022 2:11 PM in response to Marco Klobas

Marco,

thanks a lot. You have been extremely helpful in claryfing.

Being a bit perfect purist, as Music app on iPad/iPhone devices offer automatic sample rate switching, there is no reason to use iMac connected to DAC. I can plug in, thru front USB, my Ipad/iPhone into DAC or music streamer (I expect Denon AVR front USB to be a data input online).

Maybe the music streamer (used as a DAC) can offer more options than the pure DAC in case I decide to stream music from other service providers.

I would appreciate your opinion on my thoughts.

ciao, Sergio.

Apple Music lossless hi-Res songs in my hi-fi system

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.