Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

will keeping my new Macbook Pro M1 plugged in most of the time hurt battery life?

Will keeping my new MacBook Pro M1 plugged in most of the time hurt battery life?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jan 20, 2022 5:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2022 7:40 PM

Your MacBook Pro  uses smart charging to charge in the optimum way, and only when necessary. Plugged in is Not necessarily actively charging. There is substantial hardware and software cooperating on battery and charging issues. Simply asserting a charging voltage against one of the interface(s) will NOT successfully charge your MacBook Pro.

So Sure, leave it plugged in. Nothing will be damaged in any way.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2022 7:40 PM in response to ncmac13

Your MacBook Pro  uses smart charging to charge in the optimum way, and only when necessary. Plugged in is Not necessarily actively charging. There is substantial hardware and software cooperating on battery and charging issues. Simply asserting a charging voltage against one of the interface(s) will NOT successfully charge your MacBook Pro.

So Sure, leave it plugged in. Nothing will be damaged in any way.

Feb 17, 2022 10:59 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Thanks Bob, very appreciative on the response. Good to know i can take it off my concerns.

Please note that the statement i was replying to (and saw no clarifying reply below it) was conditional, not absolute. It included the following:

"Older Macs do not incorporate Battery Health Management."

since the original question was about a new Macbook Pro M1, I sought clarification applied to earlier models, my 2017 in particular.

your response did not address my question.

The following link i located does deal with intel based MBPs running 10.15.5 and i assume later:

About battery health management in Mac notebooks - Apple Support

thanks again, fred

Feb 17, 2022 11:16 AM in response to frederickfromashfield

Your son's 2017 MBP needs to be running macOS 10.15.5 or later to benefit from the feature described in About battery health management in Mac notebooks - Apple Support.

Same title, but that one applies to Intel Macs. The algorithms seek to accomplish the same goal — you don't have to concern yourself with it. "Older" Macs are those too old to run macOS 10.15.5.

Jan 20, 2022 7:44 PM in response to ncmac13

No, and your Mac implements battery management algorithms that will exercise it anyway, even if you leave it plugged in all the time.

About battery health management in Mac notebooks - Apple Support explains it in somewhat superficial detail, under How battery health management helps.

Older Macs do not incorporate Battery Health Management. Leaving them plugged in all the time would be detrimental.

Feb 17, 2022 10:40 AM in response to John Galt

Hey John thanks for the reply. can you define terms here. What is meant by Older? Can you name a year or OS. I am planning to use my son's old 15 inch 2017 MBP in clamshell mode with a monitor and run it as a desktop computer at work. It will be plugged in all the time and can be shut down or not over night as is advised. I am worried the battery needs to be drained every so often, but am not sure if this is true or if true how often. My preference is to not have this concern, but i also do not want to damage the battery or prematurely cause failure.

thanks, fred

will keeping my new Macbook Pro M1 plugged in most of the time hurt battery life?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.