Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music Does Not Pick Up Where It Left Off

For the past few weeks, every time I start Apple Music it forgets where it left off and always reverts to the middle of the same song and then replays everything after that song. I have to manually jump ahead to pick up where I left off. (I always play this playlist in order, not in random mode.) The memory seems to be stuck on this one certain song. My playlist and songs are downloaded to my iPhone 8 (iOS 15.2), so this is not a streaming issue. What can I do to clear the memory so it goes back to picking up the playlist where it left off during the last listening session?

iPhone 8

Posted on Jan 20, 2022 7:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2022 7:44 PM

Perhaps that one song file got corrupted somehow. Delete it and redownload it:

Redownload music - Apple Support

Add and download music from Apple Music - Apple Support

Similar questions

9 replies

Feb 2, 2022 2:44 PM in response to javaliga

This issue is getting worse. As javalinga suggested, I deleted and redownloaded the music file it kept wanting to go to, and also deleted and re-set the entire playlist again in the Apple Music library. Now every time I open the Apple Music app, the player just says "Not Playing". (It used to show the title of the song where it left off.) If I just hit the Play button, it randomly selects a song to start playing (even though I have random shuffle mode turned off). It seems that it loses its memory whenever the app is shut down or my iPhone is turned off at night. If I can remember what song was playing and I call up the song from the library manually, it picks up where the song had left off. But it won't go to the song on its own. I have to remember the song myself, search the playlist, and manually tap on the song title to get it to pick up where it left off. This is getting REALLY frustrating. This app was always very reliable up until a few weeks ago when this started happening. How do I get it back to being hassle-free???

Feb 19, 2022 7:40 AM in response to makenna286

I called and spoke with someone in Apple Music's tech department last week about this. He checked a bunch of my settings and said everything was set correctly. He said he'd check with his engineering folks and see what they could find. He called back the next day to say that, yes, they have uncovered a bug in their latest update that causes Apple Music to lose track of what song played last if you shut down your phone or close the app. He asked them to revert to the previous version until they could fix this bug, but the engineers said they could not do that because the previous version had other bugs that they did not want to reintroduce into customer's devices. They said they would work on this and hopefully have it corrected with their next update. But he had no idea how long that was going to take. So in the meantime, we just have to live with this ridiculous issue. You would think after so many years of designing music players, Apple would be able to figure out how to let songs pick up where they left off! I guess not.

Feb 19, 2022 7:47 AM in response to VentureJD3

By the way, the only Mickey Mouse work-around I've come up with for this issue is to check what song or podcast segment I'm on before pausing the playback. I then open my Notes app and type in the song title or podcast chapter. Before I start my playlist again the next day, I check the Notes app. I then go to my library and scroll down my playlist to get to the song where I left off and select it manually to resume the playlist. Oddly, I've discovered that the song or segment will pick up exactly where it left off if you do it this way. But you need to find the tune or segment and select it manually to have it pick up where you left off.

Mar 11, 2022 2:02 AM in response to VentureJD3

Same issue here , very frustrating . I spent years of what you might even consider as “ composing “ , musical playlists . To be perfectly honest and in the light of the slow and painful death of vinyl and cds , I’ve a feeling that this is a marketing move for more profit on Apples behalf , could well and truly be the first obvious sign , of them loosing there routes for ever .

Apple Music Does Not Pick Up Where It Left Off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.