Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I remove a phone number? This was interim until my old one was activated

I cannot remove a temporary mobile number from my AppleId profile, even if this interim number does not exist ( has been deactivated from provider)

I can phone with the old number but in my Apple account the new one is active

what can I do?

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on Jan 21, 2022 2:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2022 3:39 AM

With 2FA the important thing is that your NEW number is in

• appleid.apple.com in Security.
  • settings, your name, name. phone numbers, email

and your Device (or devices) are in

• Settings, Your name (list at the bottom)
  • Appleid.apple.com in Devices.

If they are all in there then loss of the interim number will not affect 2FA. You can delete it everywhere. Having it recorded is useless as you no longer have access.

Adding your partner's number or even a landline number in your trusted numbers allows alternatives for disaster recoversy, as does adding a partner's email.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2022 3:39 AM in response to Maria-Isabella

With 2FA the important thing is that your NEW number is in

• appleid.apple.com in Security.
  • settings, your name, name. phone numbers, email

and your Device (or devices) are in

• Settings, Your name (list at the bottom)
  • Appleid.apple.com in Devices.

If they are all in there then loss of the interim number will not affect 2FA. You can delete it everywhere. Having it recorded is useless as you no longer have access.

Adding your partner's number or even a landline number in your trusted numbers allows alternatives for disaster recoversy, as does adding a partner's email.

Jan 22, 2022 3:21 AM in response to LD150

Hi!

first of all, thank you so much for helping me to sort it out!

In my security account (like your picture) I have the right number, because I could delete the incorrect one.

The "bad number" is still staying in the "Devises".

My fears, after getting a warning message from Apple, "the Number xxx will no more be used after 2 weeks, it is not your devise Nr." (or something like this but "more English")

But..xxx is the correct number! And of course I have fears, not just that Apple Pay will be affected if the 2FA will go to Nirvana and all other activities that need an authentication.

Do you have a clue what can happen if I cannot change the Iphone Nr. In the "Devises"?

Thanks again

How can I remove a phone number? This was interim until my old one was activated

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.