Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk encryption

I'm about to take the plunge and do a major update of the OS of my Intel Mac, moving from Mojave to Monterey and have a question about disk encryption (Filevault?)

I have a MacBook Pro from 2017 and have been running Mojave on it for quite a while. I've resisted upgrading the OS because of the 32-bit-->64-bit change. I have been running software that I hadn't updated because no good (for me) updates or replacements were available.

I'll still be losing a lot of software, particularly games like the Hoyle series (Hoyle Board Games&Puzzles, Hoyle Card Games, etc.) but I've found replacements for all my major can't-live-without-software and I think it's time to upgrade.

My issue is that I vaguely recall something from when one of the OS updates came out - I don't remember if it was Catalina, or Big Sur, or Monterey - that the disk was automatically encrypted as part of installing the update and the user did not have a choice. I'm trying to track down if this is true.

I do NOT want my disk encrypted for various reasons. I don't want to go into that, or discuss the merits of encryption in any way, I just want to know if the disk will be automatically encrypted or not or how to avoid it happening during the update process from Mojave to Monterey.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 21, 2022 5:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2022 7:45 AM

sauljaffe wrote:

I'm about to take the plunge and do a major update of the OS of my Intel Mac, moving from Mojave to Monterey and have a question about disk encryption (Filevault?)

I have a MacBook Pro from 2017

I do NOT want my disk encrypted for various reasons. I don't want to go into that, or discuss the merits of encryption in any way, I just want to know if the disk will be automatically encrypted or not or how to avoid it happening during the update process from Mojave to Monterey.

You do not have to use the FilVault option...

Use FileVault to encrypt the startup disk on your Mac - Apple ...

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2022 7:45 AM in response to sauljaffe

sauljaffe wrote:

I have a MacBook Pro from 2017

You do not have to use the FilVault option...

Use FileVault to encrypt the startup disk on your Mac - Apple ...

Jan 21, 2022 6:46 AM in response to sauljaffe

You said:

My issue is that I vaguely recall something from when one of the OS updates came out - I don't remember if it was Catalina, or Big Sur, or Monterey - that the disk was automatically encrypted as part of installing the update and the user did not have a choice. I'm trying to track down if this is true.

That is not true you can use Filevault or, it is your choice. I am not using Filevault.

Some users have experienced problem going from Mojave to Monterey.

I recommend upgrading to each version and not skipping versions. Some of these problem hay be due to skipping firmware updates since sometimes the update included updating the Mac's firmware like the Monterey upgrade does.

Do you have enough free disk space?

If upgrading from macOS Sierra or later, your Mac needs 26GB of available storage to upgrade. If upgrading from an earlier release, your Mac needs up to 44GB of available storage.

Also uninstall any antivirus and "cleaning" apps before trying installing again.

Further, you need an Apple disk installed to upgrade to Monterey since the upgrade includes an update to the Mac's firmware. That update looks for an Apple disk and write to the dick to do the firmware update. The install will terminate or freeze if no Apple disk.

Jan 21, 2022 6:58 AM in response to lllaass

One small additional point related to encryption; since Big Sur (I believe) Time Machine volumes are encrypted by default on Macs that support the T2 security chip. macOS handles the encryption/decryption automatically (I have the encryption password stored in KeyChain) but it's good practice to jot down the password to avoid problems.

- Pie Lover

Jan 21, 2022 8:15 AM in response to BlueberryLover

since Big Sur (I believe) Time Machine volumes are encrypted by default on Macs that support the T2 security chip.

They are not.

The drive on a T2 or M1 Mac are always encrypted, but the backups are not required to be encrypted. I don't even think it defaulted to having the Encrypt Backups setting checked when I started the backup of my FileVault T2 nor my M1. It did suggest I encrypt the backups on the T2 Mac since I had enabled FileVault on it, but I chose not to do so.

Jan 21, 2022 8:18 AM in response to sauljaffe

It is not. What you may be misremembering is that Macs with a T2 Chip are always encrypted. So are M1 Macs. I don't think your Mac is a T2 Mac, but it wouldn't matter, anyway. While the drive is encrypted, you don't have to enable FileVault.

Another possibility is that the Setup Assistant defaults to encryption for laptop Macs. Just don't skip through the setup assistant and leave it set to enable FileVault.

Disk encryption

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.