Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone will not update on my computer, either.

My iPhone will not update to iOS 15.2.1. It tells me I must be on wifi to complete the update, which I am.

I then tried to update by plugging my phone into my computer, and the update still won’t download. I don’t understand. My wifi is connected and functioning properly, I have plenty of storage, and have followed all other troubleshooting guides accordingly. Any suggestions?

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 21, 2022 7:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2022 7:54 PM

lmorissette Said:

"My iPhone will not update on my computer, either.: My iPhone will not update to iOS 15.2.1. It tells me I must be on wifi to complete the update, which I am. I then tried to update by plugging my phone into my computer, and the update still won’t download.[...]"

-------

Four Thoughts:

A. Create a Admin New User:

Start by creating a new administrator user. See if it then works. Trash this user, once all is completed.

B. Use of a Computer to Update:

Learn more here. See my User Tip: Update your iPhone Using a Computer - User Tip. You can use a Mac or a PC for this. So, use different computer, if an option.

C. Disable VPN Connections:

Are you connected to a VPN (Virtual Private Network)? If so, disable it, and rid of it, if not required for school and work use.

As a Last Resort...

D. Use Ethernet:

If you cannot use Wi-Fi, then use Ethernet.  For a Mac (or PC) that does not have Ethernet, this would be the adapter to use: Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter - Apple

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2022 7:54 PM in response to lmorissette

lmorissette Said:

"My iPhone will not update on my computer, either.: My iPhone will not update to iOS 15.2.1. It tells me I must be on wifi to complete the update, which I am. I then tried to update by plugging my phone into my computer, and the update still won’t download.[...]"

-------

Four Thoughts:

A. Create a Admin New User:

Start by creating a new administrator user. See if it then works. Trash this user, once all is completed.

B. Use of a Computer to Update:

Learn more here. See my User Tip: Update your iPhone Using a Computer - User Tip. You can use a Mac or a PC for this. So, use different computer, if an option.

C. Disable VPN Connections:

Are you connected to a VPN (Virtual Private Network)? If so, disable it, and rid of it, if not required for school and work use.

As a Last Resort...

D. Use Ethernet:

If you cannot use Wi-Fi, then use Ethernet.  For a Mac (or PC) that does not have Ethernet, this would be the adapter to use: Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter - Apple

Jan 21, 2022 8:22 PM in response to lmorissette

lmorissette Said:

"Thanks for the fast response! I’ve tried several PCs, tried on wifi and Ethernet, but to no avail. I don’t own a Mac. Not connected to or have ever been on VPN. Sounds like this may require a phone call to Apple Support or trip to the Apple store. Appreciation your suggestions, though!"

-------

You are welcome. Did you try the new user, even on a PC?

Apple Contact Info:

Why the Wait:

Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

My iPhone will not update on my computer, either.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.