You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini M1 16G/1TB. NAND manufacturer is SanDisk/WDC

I bought mine in early Jan 2022, after some digging, I downloaded Xcode 13.2.1 (need to sign up as Apple Developer), I run the IO Register and found out my SSD vendor is SanDisk, screen shot is here.

After very light use of 10 days ( I did update the OS to the very latest), the total write is 353GB, but I worry once I start editing 4K video using ProRes 422 HQ on my external SSD ( 2TB external SSD with write speed > 2400MB/s using TB3 connection), there will be too much wear on my SSD, what do you guys think? any method to determine the actual NAND model by Western Digital/SanDisk? I try to find the TBW, but no where to locate it on westerndigital site. Thanks

Posted on Jan 21, 2022 8:57 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 22, 2022 4:34 AM in response to ysfbuy

What is the exact make and model of the external SSD that you purchased?

If the TBW rating is not in their spec sheet, you will likely never find it. There is a whole lot more involved in TBW than just the NAND chip specs that are determined by the actual controller (wear leveling, garbage collection, over provisioning, the specific NAND physical architecture, etc.).

Jan 22, 2022 6:32 AM in response to ysfbuy

MicroCenter site designed poorly, it is very hard to find it, you can go to local store and give the UPC number and ask for availability, note Fleging encore max speed topped at 3000MB/s, this SSD is their iland private brand with claimed TBW at 3600TB, NAND is from Kioxia, this enclose doesn't work well with Samsung for unknown reason, also avoid QLC SSD. Just get an inexpensive PCIE4 SSD. If you buy Sabrent using Amazon, you can buy any NVMe SSD, but max speed at 850MB/s ( sufficient for my 4K video editing).

As for my Mac mini M1, it is Western Digital/SanDisk TLC NAND, so I looked at their TLC, most have a life cycle of 600 (600TBW for 1TB SSD), I use it as reference, but I think Apple use their own controller, not Phison one, I can only speculate as Apple has a history with poor quality components. I use two external SSDs and 1TB internal/16GB is to extend Mac mini life as long as I can. Very ****** at Apple for sordid practice of welding everything.

Mac Mini M1 16G/1TB. NAND manufacturer is SanDisk/WDC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.