Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung T7 shield works very slow after update to MacOS Ventura

Hi everyone,

Since Ive been updated my system to MacOS Ventura, my external SSD (Samsung T7 SHIELD) works extremely slow on my MacBook Pro M1.

my external SSD had the same issue with another MacBook I tried with, but works fast and properly with my windows PC.

Its important to emphasize that the SSD worked perfectly on macOS Monterey.

Another odd thing, Is that whenever I'm doing unmount to my SSD its says that its on use, but no software using it at all.

Anyone has the same problem ? Any Solution?

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Nov 30, 2022 11:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2022 3:41 AM

What format? APFS (for SSD), Mac OS Extended (Journaled) (for HDD)? Or some non-mac format that does not work with apps like Photos, Final Cut, Compressor: exFAT, FAT, NTFS?

What partition scheme? Usually GUID but might be MBR for exFAT and FAT.

Usually 3rd party disk utility apps are not recommended unless the user knows what s/he is doing. So uninstall any Samsung software.

What connection: USB1-3 etc? Any hubs etc?

Remove all 3rd party virus apps (Avast, Bitdefender, Intego, MacAfee, Norton, ESET NOD32 etc) and 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up" apps (CleanMyMac, MacKeeper etc). They produce only obscure errors and money loss.

Oh, and also QBitTorrent produced weird errors for some users a while ago:

File this under Weird: In Monterey copyin… - Apple Community

An EtreCheck report could be helpful:

Using EtreCheck to Troubleshoot Potential… - Apple Community

Similar questions

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2022 3:41 AM in response to Omrisht99

What format? APFS (for SSD), Mac OS Extended (Journaled) (for HDD)? Or some non-mac format that does not work with apps like Photos, Final Cut, Compressor: exFAT, FAT, NTFS?

What partition scheme? Usually GUID but might be MBR for exFAT and FAT.

Usually 3rd party disk utility apps are not recommended unless the user knows what s/he is doing. So uninstall any Samsung software.

What connection: USB1-3 etc? Any hubs etc?

Remove all 3rd party virus apps (Avast, Bitdefender, Intego, MacAfee, Norton, ESET NOD32 etc) and 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up" apps (CleanMyMac, MacKeeper etc). They produce only obscure errors and money loss.

Oh, and also QBitTorrent produced weird errors for some users a while ago:

File this under Weird: In Monterey copyin… - Apple Community

An EtreCheck report could be helpful:

Using EtreCheck to Troubleshoot Potential… - Apple Community

Dec 3, 2022 6:07 AM in response to Omrisht99

I follow this post. I have the same problem with my normal T7 (2TB). I has nothing to do with the cable I guess, because my T5 disk run at normal speed. When I put my T7 on my older Macbook with Monterey, it has its original speed and it works fine. (I'm using the same cable!)

I guess it had to do with Ventura and I hope it will be done when there is a new update.

Dec 3, 2022 7:07 AM in response to Omrisht99

Below is directly from Samsung >> https://www.samsung.com/ca/memory-storage/portable-ssd/t7-shield-1tb-black-external-storage-nvme-1050-mbs-mu-pe1t0s-am/

Software requires Windows 7, Mac OS X 10.10, Android 5.1(Lollipop), or higher. Older versions of the Windows, Mac, and Android operating systems may not be supported.

** Firmware update requires use of PC or Mac and access to internet connection. Android app available on Google Play. Samsung Magician Software only available in Windows.

Performance may vary depending on host configuration. To reach maximum read/write speeds of up to 1,050/1,000MB/s, respectively, the host device and connection cables must support USB 3.2 Gen2 and the UASP mode must be enabled.

Jan 3, 2023 7:15 AM in response to Omrisht99

Macbook Air M2 went from writing over USB-C to the brand new Samsung T7 Shielded as slow as 20 MBps to an average of 1 GBps after the reformat to Mac OS journaled extended. So, it's still not quite the speed I was hoping for, but I can live with it for what I am doing. For a 500GB photo library move that was taking over 15 hours, it is happening in a little over 20 minutes now. I HIGHLY recommend reformatting the drive to use with Macs if that's the intended purpose.

Jan 27, 2023 6:34 PM in response to Omrisht99

Using a macbook m1 with the very latest version of ventura. Initially with the t7 shield plugged directly into the thunderbolt port Compared to expectations I was getting modest speeds (around 300MB/s). The t7 was factory formatted as exfat and did not alter this. Just as an experiment I used disk utility to “repair” the disk. Disk utility found no errors but when I tested the speed again they had jumped to around 750MB/s. I have no idea about what caused this massive improvement.

Samsung T7 shield works very slow after update to MacOS Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.