Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk partition

My disk won't partition and i couldn't use first aid or any other thing from recovery mode

It has new type of error. I cannot find this anywhere on internet

Please help

Intel i5. Macbook pro 13' 2019 base model 128 gb macos monteroary

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 22, 2022 4:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2022 1:56 PM

I've seen those errors myself and it was necessary to erase the drive since First Aid was unable to repair them.

If First Aid is unable to repair the errors when running First Aid on the hidden Container while booted to the macOS installer, then you will need to erase the Container (or whole physical drive if an Intel Mac) before reinstalling macOS and restoring from a backup. Keep in mind erasing the drive or Container will destroy all data on the laptop so I hope you have a good backup.

You should always have frequent and regular backups of your computer and any external media which contains important & unique data. Since 2018+ Macs utilize hardware encryption of the data on the SSD so you will permanently lose any unbacked up data if the Logic Board ever becomes non-functional since they keys to the encrypted data are contained in the security enclave located on the Logic Board. Without access to the keys you cannot decrypt the data to access it.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2022 1:56 PM in response to siddhartha295

I've seen those errors myself and it was necessary to erase the drive since First Aid was unable to repair them.

If First Aid is unable to repair the errors when running First Aid on the hidden Container while booted to the macOS installer, then you will need to erase the Container (or whole physical drive if an Intel Mac) before reinstalling macOS and restoring from a backup. Keep in mind erasing the drive or Container will destroy all data on the laptop so I hope you have a good backup.

You should always have frequent and regular backups of your computer and any external media which contains important & unique data. Since 2018+ Macs utilize hardware encryption of the data on the SSD so you will permanently lose any unbacked up data if the Logic Board ever becomes non-functional since they keys to the encrypted data are contained in the security enclave located on the Logic Board. Without access to the keys you cannot decrypt the data to access it.

Jan 22, 2022 12:27 PM in response to siddhartha295

siddhartha295 wrote:

My disk won't partition and i couldn't use first aid or any other thing from recovery mode
It has new type of error. I cannot find this anywhere on internet
Please help
Intel i5. Macbook pro 13' 2019 base model 128 gb macos monteroary
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/b2f94c11-1a65-480c-9071-601fff81b57e
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/67c8b1b9-1717-4941-9e78-81a7d18059fb

Are you booted to Recovery? Have you tried booting to Internet Recovery>Disk Utility>First Aid

How to reinstall macOS

Recovery (both M1 and Intel) — https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Disk partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.