Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

American phone number no longer messageable on my iPhone XR while traveling, any way to change this?

I am traveling for a few months and got an international SIM card to use in my iPhone XR. I have put my American SIM card into an old iPhone which does not have any apple ID or anything set up on it. That phone is staying safe with my passport so I don't need to worry about it but also so I can continue access any 2FA associated with my American phone number. My American phone number is still associated with the Apple ID in my iPhone XR, but it does not appear in my message settings as an option to receive and reply messages from. Is there any way I can set it up such that I can receive iMessage on my XR, or does my old SIM card being in another phone stop this from being possible? Let me know if any clarifying information would be helpful, thank you in advance!

iPhone XR

Posted on Jan 22, 2022 5:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2022 8:32 AM

If you have an international SIM in your iPhone, then your American phone number is not going to work on that device. You should be able to receive iMessages with your Apple ID if that is configured as a send/receive option for iMessages. You need to confirm the status of your iMessage on that phone after you put in the international SIM. What happens if you try to send an iMessage with this international SIM? Do you have cellular data? You should be able to send an iMessage with your Apple ID, but since you have associated your iPhone with the international SIM, that phone is using that number, not your American number. Only one phone can have a phone number associated with it, that is how the IMEI that identifies your phone to the cellular networks works. If you wish to use your American number, you need to take out the international SIM and activate your phone with your American number again. You need to have people message you with your Apple ID in this case.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2022 8:32 AM in response to seanm447

If you have an international SIM in your iPhone, then your American phone number is not going to work on that device. You should be able to receive iMessages with your Apple ID if that is configured as a send/receive option for iMessages. You need to confirm the status of your iMessage on that phone after you put in the international SIM. What happens if you try to send an iMessage with this international SIM? Do you have cellular data? You should be able to send an iMessage with your Apple ID, but since you have associated your iPhone with the international SIM, that phone is using that number, not your American number. Only one phone can have a phone number associated with it, that is how the IMEI that identifies your phone to the cellular networks works. If you wish to use your American number, you need to take out the international SIM and activate your phone with your American number again. You need to have people message you with your Apple ID in this case.

American phone number no longer messageable on my iPhone XR while traveling, any way to change this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.