Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

setting up a custom domain

Hi.

I'm trying to add a new custom domain, having already created one successfully in the past.

This time, iCloud settings detects that my domain is hosted by IONOS and so doesn't provide me with DNS settings, instead prompting me to login to IONOS. When I login to IONOS I get an error 500. I try the same process with a GoDaddy domain and it works.

I know that if I can get the DNS settings (and specifically the 'personal TXT record provide by Apple') I will be able to complete the setup. There doesn't seem to be any way to get it though.

Has anyone experienced similar? Is there a way to get the TXT record, or to avoid the 500 error?

Thanks.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 22, 2022 10:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 11:53 PM

I had the same problem. Looks like IONOS domain connect is broken.

I went in to the DNS settings on IONOS and removed the CNAME record for _domainconnect. Then waited an couple of hours for the DNS to sync and tried again. iCloud then gave me the instructions for setting up the DNS manually.

After following the instructions it’s working perfectly.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2022 11:53 PM in response to EdGarcez

I had the same problem. Looks like IONOS domain connect is broken.

I went in to the DNS settings on IONOS and removed the CNAME record for _domainconnect. Then waited an couple of hours for the DNS to sync and tried again. iCloud then gave me the instructions for setting up the DNS manually.

After following the instructions it’s working perfectly.

Feb 5, 2022 11:53 PM in response to EdGarcez

I have the same problem. I've spoken to Apple and IONOS and neither could help. I tried removing the CNAME record _domainconnect and setting up the DNS records manually as per https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT212524. However, I still cannot get it to work. I get stuck on the third step:

Step 3: Finish setting up the domain

The domain “BLANK..COM” is registered with IONOS. After all emails are verified, continue to sign in with IONOS.

When I press continue it still tries to take me to Ionos https://domainconnect.ionos.co.uk/500 which gives a 500 error.

Has anyone managed to get this working and can point me in the right direction? I've tried waiting up to 48 hours for DNS changes to take place and still no luck.

Thanks.

Feb 11, 2022 12:33 PM in response to gerard143

Thanks. I found that PaulMitchell's solution worked for me with my other IONOS domain -- even better though if they've fixed the issue.

Not really on topic, but in case you're looking to migrate from Google Workspaces to iCloud, this article and guide worked an absolute treat for me > https://blah.cloud/miscellaneous/migrating-google-workspaces-to-icloud-custom-domain/

Take care!

Feb 11, 2022 2:03 PM in response to AnthT

The way I got it working was by not adding my email address first and verifying it at Step 2. Instead, skip that stage and Apple with email your icloud email address with an email subject "Finish setting uo your custom domain" that has details of the CNAME, MX and TXT records that you need to set in IONOS domain settings. The TXT record has (what I assume is) a unique code in it that seems to get the whole thing working.

Have been using it al for a week now with two custom domains and no issues.

If any of this isn't clear then let me know and I will try and explain better.

setting up a custom domain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.