Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keep Message Notification or Leave as Unread Until You Reply

Is there a way to configure iMessage & sms text message notifications on the iPhone to leave the notification badge/banner/lock-screen notification up until I actually reply to the message? If i receive and read a message but can't reply immediately, i'd like to keep receiving a notification/reminder that i haven't responded to the message. I've looked through the settings but it doesn't appear to be available. I'm assuming i'd have to use iftt or shortcuts to accomplish this.

iPhone XS, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 22, 2022 10:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2022 10:32 AM

There is nothing you can use to change the fact that a message has been read. There is no toggle to change it back to unread like an email, and as far as receiving additional notifications, that would only occur if you do not read it. The best thing you can do is not read the message until you have time to reply, or set up to see a preview on the lock screen, and not touch that preview. Otherwise the message becomes read and you will not be able to change that. You can provide feedback to Apple to explain you would like to see a feature change by going to their feedback page, Feedback - iPhone - Apple

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2022 10:32 AM in response to tehlawlrus

There is nothing you can use to change the fact that a message has been read. There is no toggle to change it back to unread like an email, and as far as receiving additional notifications, that would only occur if you do not read it. The best thing you can do is not read the message until you have time to reply, or set up to see a preview on the lock screen, and not touch that preview. Otherwise the message becomes read and you will not be able to change that. You can provide feedback to Apple to explain you would like to see a feature change by going to their feedback page, Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Keep Message Notification or Leave as Unread Until You Reply

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.