Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

7th gen iPod touch connection to iTunes and High Sierra

Old Macbook, 10.13.6 MAXIMUM (no, I can't afford new/er).

7th Gen iPod Touch ios 15.2.1

iTunes refuses to see ipod. Second pod with same prob. Brand new.

This time (2nd ipod) actually had the Trust popup.

Macbook had trust popup (I think) too.

Will ONLY make sync connection thru wifi and ONLY if I start iTunes before

connecting cable.

Have re-installed OS. Have reset NVRAM/PRAM/ and whatever the 3rd is.

ONLY way to turn on ipod wifi sync is restore (ipod 6th gen) on obsolete PC with Win.10,

go to prefs. and enable wifi sync. Then will connect to Mac (PC itunes wifi-sync doesn't "see" it)

Is this deliberate "blockage" from Apple?, to force upgrades?

[Email Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Jan 22, 2022 8:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2022 7:40 AM

I wonder whether iOS 15 requires later version of MacOS on the computer. Check this article from The Verge; https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/7/22523116/apple-ios-ipados-15-watchos-8-macos-monterey-wwdc-2021. There is specific information about Macbooks (or all types) towards the bottom of the page.

Unless I'm mistaken (I'm a Windows user, so I could be), you need OS Monterey when using iOS 15 on the iPod.

You mention the 6th gen iPod Touch in your post, but since that model can't run iOS15, I don't think it's relevant to your current issue with the 7th gen Touch.

tod.from.orem wrote:

I doubt it. It's far more likely to be a technical need.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2022 7:40 AM in response to tod.from.orem

I wonder whether iOS 15 requires later version of MacOS on the computer. Check this article from The Verge; https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/7/22523116/apple-ios-ipados-15-watchos-8-macos-monterey-wwdc-2021. There is specific information about Macbooks (or all types) towards the bottom of the page.

Unless I'm mistaken (I'm a Windows user, so I could be), you need OS Monterey when using iOS 15 on the iPod.

You mention the 6th gen iPod Touch in your post, but since that model can't run iOS15, I don't think it's relevant to your current issue with the 7th gen Touch.

tod.from.orem wrote:

I doubt it. It's far more likely to be a technical need.

Jan 23, 2022 8:40 AM in response to tod.from.orem

tod.from.orem wrote:

This... won't even 'talk' at all. What if that was my only copy? How would I re-import

Do you mean the music on your iPod? If you do, then you already have an issue since iTunes has no method for copying music back from an iDevice to iTunes. (There are non-Apple programmes, at a cost.)

Don't forget; music on a portable device is a copy of the music in your iTunes Library - or, on a Mac using OS Catalina or later, a copy of the music on your computer. Music is not "in iTunes" (instead, it's simply listed in your iTunes Library as a database) and the copy on your iPod is vulnerable to loss or theft of - or damage to, the device itself. Not to mention that occasionally, an iPod may need to be restored, which removes all its content.

So not only do you need to keep the music on your computer (and by association, listed in your iTunes Library), but you should back up all your music to an external storage device.

If you no longer have your music on your computer, either recover the music from the iPod by using one of the non-Apple programmes to retrieve the music from the iPod or re-build your library as follows:

• purchases from the iTunes Store - sign into your store account (with the same ID that you used to make the original purchases) and download the songs again
    • purchases from other online stores (such as Amazon or Bandcamp etc.) - go to your account with that store and download from your account with that store
    • other websites - go back to that website and download again
    • from CDs - re-rip the CD

Jan 23, 2022 8:11 AM in response to the fiend

SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE-REPLY

As for the snark at the bottom...

I'm old enough to remember the hulla-baloo on Apple dropping 5.25 floppies for 3.50 mini's.

And the major flack when they dropped floppies completely.

But there was still support for them. You could/still can plug in any external floppy and 'see' it in the OS.

This... won't even 'talk' at all. What if that was my only copy? How would I re-import

if 'Tunes/'Pod won't talk? Yes, ridiculous examples, but still... (and I LIKE the current 'Tunes. It's my main OSX media player

and maintenance tool)

Feb 14, 2022 5:31 AM in response to tod.from.orem

Yah... for ALL the people trying to help: On further thinking, and 'finally' remembering all the updates for all the new hardware it has occurred to me that the problem is iTunes.

I'd forgotten that Apple drops a new iTunes anytime there's a hardware upgrade and almost every time there's an OS update/upgrade. I'm guessing there's just not the support in 'Tunes for H.S. and no upgrade path available.

THIS OBVIOUSLY DOES NOT SOLVE MY PROBLEM, but as long as I can only afford obsolete hardware, I'll have to use a work-around to be able to use anything new from Apple.

So, I'll just activate WiFi in Windows, and connect to iTunes thru WiFi to manage my device.

I'd try to "shame" Apple, but Apple don't shame.

THANK YOU ANYBODY AND CONSIDER THIS CLOSED.

7th gen iPod touch connection to iTunes and High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.