Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

16" M1 Max MBP - Memory Leak after opening FCPX

I work in Final Cut almost daily and today ran into an issue where FCPX started heavily crashing with little to no effort or work on my new M1 Max MBP. I looked at activity monitor and noticed FCPX is using ALOT of memory and eventually after a few minutes of just being open, not even editing, it gives me an error that I need to force quit the app as it has run out of application memory.

Having just edited the same project a few days ago - and not installing any additional plugins or anything over the past few days I'm really unsure how or why this issue started but i'm trying to get to the root of it as it is certainly impeding my ability to work. I know moving over from my old Mac to this one I do get warnings about out of date plugins - so I'm not sure if its any of these. I'd love to find and fully remove these if possible but tracking them down and fully removing them is quite the challenge as I dont know where some of these get installed/are stored.

I have tried to delete render files for the project I was in as well as cleared and reset preferences on opening up FCPX and the issue persists.

Posted on Jan 22, 2022 8:26 PM

Similar questions

9 replies

Jan 24, 2022 10:10 AM in response to M. Video Productions

Update

I wanted to provide a quick update to my original issue to say that I've been able to narrow it down to a specific Project (unfortunately one I need to still edit!).

This morning I worked in a separate library for hours and memory was normal while I edited, exported etc. Switching gears back into the "problem" library I seem to be able to reproduce the issue immediately whenever I went to export the project.

It seems to get to around 21% of the export and then memory skyrockets and makes me force quit every time. I attempted to move this project OUT of this problem library and into a new library/event but the problem persists leading me to believe its THIS project. Looking at the edit (especially around the 21% mark - there are no external plugins that I could find on any of the clips. The sequence is about 15 logos "scaling" in - text fading in and a ken burns masked photo effect behind it all. What's weird is I did this same project - almost exact same edit with 8 logos instead of 15 early in the week and everything was smooth sailing. I have deleted the render files in case someone asks. (screenshot attached)

I even tried sending to to Compressor for export - to get it out of FCP and memory shot up there as well. While it didn't crash the app it did fail the export with an error message:

Failed: Error: RequestCVPixelBufferForFrame returned: 3 for absolute frame: 460

Since it is not impacting every Final Cut project I'm assuming there is something super funky about this one but with clear render files and no specialty plugins I'm still kinda lost as to what it is I'm looking for or how to narrow it down further.

I hear you all on the Chrome and Color Finale and am actively working to remove but something tells me this is project specific. What should I check?

Jan 23, 2022 1:53 AM in response to M. Video Productions

Two things that stand out:

you have Chrome, which is known to wreak havoc on video applications.

Uninstall Chrome and its awful “keystone” agents and daemons-see https://chromeisbad.com for an explanation.

You have ColorFinale - I can’t say for sure but by several reports here I gather that it has not been updated recently and has problems in Monterey and FCP 10.6.*.

Jan 24, 2022 12:42 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks @Tom

I can now mark this as solved! I noticed at frame 460 it was the first frame of one of the 15 logos I used. As soon as I deleted and replaced that file with a new one it worked flawlessly. Its amazing to me that 1 single .png can lead to a complete app crashing memory leak but it did.

On that note - is there anyone at Apple on the Final Cut team I should send this file to as a potential fix for future updates? Im sure there are always going to be bad files, but I wonder if the team can fix whatever issue this one caused or even consider adding in a "bad or corrupt media" message for one like this.

16" M1 Max MBP - Memory Leak after opening FCPX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.