Preview not working - using too much memory

Whenever I try to open anything with Preview, the system jams up and the Force Quit Applications box eventually comes up indicating "Your system has run out of application memory" and showing that Preview is "(not responding)" but using 80+ GB of memory. This happens whether I try to view a PDF, jpg or any other file that defaults to Preview. If I force quit Preview, everything runs fine, and I'm perfectly able to open up these pdfs, jpgs and other files using other programs such as browsers, etc.

I have a 2023 Mac mini M2 with 8GB memory running Ventura 13.2.1 and for the first several months since I purchased this set up Preview has worked perfectly fine -- this issue just started a couple weeks ago but won't go away.

Mac mini (M2, 2023)

Posted on Nov 12, 2023 10:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2023 12:43 PM

OK - figured it out with Apple phone support. Preview was apparently caught up on something and so would not open or function normally. In order to fix it, Apple support had me open Preview using a method of holding down the Shift key while clicking on the Preview icon in my application bar. This apparently opens Preview directly and skips anything it may have cached. Once opened, it worked fine, and we then emptied the Preview "library" file folder. Best of luck everyone --

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2023 12:43 PM in response to Brandito

OK - figured it out with Apple phone support. Preview was apparently caught up on something and so would not open or function normally. In order to fix it, Apple support had me open Preview using a method of holding down the Shift key while clicking on the Preview icon in my application bar. This apparently opens Preview directly and skips anything it may have cached. Once opened, it worked fine, and we then emptied the Preview "library" file folder. Best of luck everyone --

Nov 13, 2023 2:59 AM in response to Brandito

User wrote " I have a 2023 Mac mini M2 with 8GB memory running Ventura 13.2.1 "

Using the same machine that originally came with Ventura 13.4

That was October 22, 2023

Suggest follow a previous suggestion to update to macOS 13 Ventura version 13.6.2 or even possible macOS 14 Sonoma version 14.1.1

This computer flys in Sonoma and not issues with Preview in either Ventura or Now Sonoma 14.1.1

Keep your Mac up to date

Apple security releases

Suggest having at least 50 GB of Empty Space on the drive.

It will allow the Full Version ( about 12.xx GB ) to download, expand and then commence to install.

If there is Third Party Security Software installed - remove it.

It will interfere with both the download and installation process.

Nov 13, 2023 11:41 AM in response to dialabrain

Thanks dialabrain. I upgraded to 13.6.1 and this did not help. 13.6.1 is the latest version Software Update says is available for me to update to - there is no option provided by Software Update for 13.6.2 (only other option would be to upgrade to 14.1). Any other suggestions? I would rather not upgrade to 14.1 at this time, and feel Preview should still work with Ventura.

Nov 13, 2023 12:44 PM in response to Brandito

Available Space is important

Though the real issue seems to the Amount of RAM = Memory that Preview is using.

Memory issue

Use the Activity Monitor application and make sure to use View >> View All Processes 

What process or processes are using the Most CPU  and Memory.

Often times - the issue maybe not a single Process  alone but a combination of Processes

Also, when the computer is using so much CPU / Memory - it can be a indicator of a Lack Of Empty Spaces on the Drive.

In which case, the CPU and Memory usage would become much more because it is searching for Empty Space to save all the Changes the user is performing.

Also, it depends on the number of  Open Tabs in your Browser, they can also affect CPU / Memory Usage.

Preview not working - using too much memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.