Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), "your system has run out of application memory" won't open any documents in Preview and will force quit.

Hello,

The past couple of days I have been getting the Force Quit Applications notice and it says, "your system has run out of application memory." It will not allow my to open any files using Preview. When I attempt to open files in Preview, it makes me force quite everything and gives me the pop-up. I searched other's questions on here and notices a couple of people said to run EtreCheck report. So I did and below is my report. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to resolve this problem.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 4:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 6:52 AM

From the Limited Access by Etrecheck - the only thing reported are 2 x 32 bit applications. Catalina does not support 32 bit applications / extensions only 64 Bit. Track down the offending Apps and either remove ( via Developers Instructions ) or see if hey have a update to 64 bit.

Outside of that - may want to try running Activity Monitor in Utilities Folder and View >> ALL Processes. It should offer up info on possible runaway application or process.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2021 6:52 AM in response to SittingWithCyndi

From the Limited Access by Etrecheck - the only thing reported are 2 x 32 bit applications. Catalina does not support 32 bit applications / extensions only 64 Bit. Track down the offending Apps and either remove ( via Developers Instructions ) or see if hey have a update to 64 bit.

Outside of that - may want to try running Activity Monitor in Utilities Folder and View >> ALL Processes. It should offer up info on possible runaway application or process.

Jan 6, 2021 12:57 PM in response to PRP_53

@P. Phillips I didn't know how to go about finding the 32 bit applications so I didn't do that. However, I was able to figure out how to run Activity Monitor and I found out that Preview was using 54GB and was not responding. As soon as I force quit the application it worked again! I guess I was opening too many documents there. Thank you very much. I will be sure to close things out regularly from now on.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), "your system has run out of application memory" won't open any documents in Preview and will force quit.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.