Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore Time Machine backup files after upgrading OS

Finally bit the bullet & upgraded from Mojave to Catalina. As i've seen in other posts there is a problem with accessing all those Time Machine backups prior to upgrading. I can see them on the ext HD, but not accessible when loading TM. The backup dates do show on the right (going back to 2017), but none load on the backup windows on the screen. Only those done post-upgrade. Is there any way to access those files through Time Machine? A ways back (os 10.6?) I was able to access old ones via the cmd or alt keys. I've read that some people do a drag & drop from the files in the Backups.backupdb folder, however I wonder if restoring an application this way will do a complete restore. Please let me now. Thanks!

13.2 iMac (late 2012) running 10.15.7

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 23, 2022 2:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2022 6:04 AM

Open TM then use shift-command-C that will now show your drive structure and you can then go back in time and look through your file directories.

Similar questions

2 replies

Restore Time Machine backup files after upgrading OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.