Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid-2012 i7 Macbook Pro Dead. Will Not Install OS. Help :(

I was working as usual on my MBP last week, when it froze. This has happened upon occasion before, and was always just a case of holding down the power button and restarting. However, on this occasion, upon restarting I got the dreaded "prohibited sign" from then on.

I began troubleshooting and trying anything I could find online:

• Repetitively tried SMC, PRAM, NVRAM resets.
  • Ran Disk Utility from Recovery Mode and attempted to repair the internal drive. Initially it allowed me to repair the main drive, but when I clicked "show all devices" etc and tried to repair the container volume, it always failed.
  • I tried various Terminal related options, running Disk Repairs via Terminal etc
  • I tried Target Disk, but unfortunately despite ordering both Firewire and Thunderbolt cables, my other older MBP can not run a compatible OS to interface with my broken MBP's disk.
  • SATA Cable. I've been struck before by the infamous 2012 MBP HD SATA cable issue. I successfully replaced it a few years ago. When I replaced the SATA cable previously, I made sure to insulate it nicely with some electrical tape, to try to prevent it happening again in future. Upon examining the cable, it looked pretty pristine. To be on the safe side, I tried swapping the SATA cable of my older working 2009 MBP. Again, the same issue, the Prohibited Symbol upon start up.
  • Via Terminal, I accessed trial versions of iBoysoft & Disk Drill software to scan and recover my internal HD. Neither worked. Stuck at "prepare scan" for up to 4 or 5 hours with no progress. Both seem to stick on a pre-scan preparation - and not scan any files for recovery.
  • At this stage, I just wanted a working MBP because I use this for work, and I am now days behind schedule, working with the machine for hours each and every day. So I went for destructive methods. I had the idea in the back of my mind that although the disk will be formatted, I can attempt to run the file recovery software when I get the machine back up and running, to see if it can find any files from pre-format. I do have a backup of work files, but it is almost a year old, and there is some current files I frequently reuse that I would really like to have back - asides from the usual sentimental stuff of family photos etc.
  • So I then started erasing the internal disk completely. Formatted it as suggested on all tutorials online. Mac OS Extended Journaled, GUID partitioning. If I am understanding this correctly, when I do this, there is a partition made for the new OS installed which is a container disk volume in APFS, or are converted to so in the process of reinstallation?
  • Once formatted, I always run First Aid again and make sure all is coming back clean and clear.
  • I have attempted several times now to reinstall an OS on to the machine, each time it fails. Firstly, I did the standard recovery mode boot up, then from the Utilities menu offered, I clicked Install OS. After several long hours installing Mojave, it would always fail to install at around 90%
  • I then attempted to reinstall Mojave again using a bootable USB drive using the dosdude Mojave Patcher. Again, this failed near the end of installation
  • Finally, last night, I tried for a second time using Internet Recovery. I'd tried this in an earlier attempt, and again, as Mojave was approaching the end of installation after many long hours on my sub-par connection, it failed.
  • I began using an Ethernet cable for direct connection to my router, to make sure that isn't a factor, as it seems to have been for some people.
  • I reformatted and ran internet recovery one last time last night, and this time I used the command shortcut to reboot the mac to install the base level OS that it supposedly shipped with - which started a download for Mountain Lion. This actually gave me a glimmer of hope, as I really though installing the earliest version of OS onto a clean hard drive would work.
  • I opened COMMAND+L to show installer log. It worked its way through installing just over 400 "Chunks". I checked on it occasionally while it did this. The last time I checked it was nearing the 400 mark. I think just before it reached there, I heard the MBP restart. All I seen on the screen was a prompt to install Mojave, again. Without knowing what else to do, I presumed this was part of the full re-install, and it was automatically updating, so I proceeded. Again, it towards the end of the progress bar, it failed.

Runs just fine in Recovery Mode when I open Safari on Terminal. Handles web browsing smoothly. Yet, I can't boot it up normally. I can't seem to re-install ANY OS, using ANY method - USB Boot, Internet Recovery, wifi, ethernet etc

Also looked into included turning Encryption off, turning SIP off, and running a bunch of other Terminal diagnostic tools. I should have listed the error messages but I have no method of copy/pasting on the broken machine. I saw some errors along the way in reference to Tree Nodes, I think it was an invalid B-Tree node size.

Thanks, Steve.

Posted on Jan 23, 2022 8:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2022 3:06 PM

The instructions for making a USB drive are for a BOOTABLE USB thumb drive. When properly crafted, it is a bootable Installer/Utilities drive that leaves the internal drive free to be fiddled with before installing on it. But you can Install on any MacOS-format drive.

--------

If you can qualify for the Apple Card, (at least in the US) they offer 12 equal payments, no interest on stuff like a new MacBook Pro. Just be sure you have the discipline Not to miss a payment, as sometimes the fees for missing a payment are steep.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2022 3:06 PM in response to skeletal_wreck

The instructions for making a USB drive are for a BOOTABLE USB thumb drive. When properly crafted, it is a bootable Installer/Utilities drive that leaves the internal drive free to be fiddled with before installing on it. But you can Install on any MacOS-format drive.

--------

If you can qualify for the Apple Card, (at least in the US) they offer 12 equal payments, no interest on stuff like a new MacBook Pro. Just be sure you have the discipline Not to miss a payment, as sometimes the fees for missing a payment are steep.

Jan 23, 2022 9:13 AM in response to skeletal_wreck

The prohibitory symbol says that although your drive appeared to be bootable, as it was loading up, a fundamental component of MacOS was found to be wrong version, defective, or damaged.

Everything else you did after that confirms that the Internal drive has died, i.e, does not have ENOUGH integrity to hold MacOS and your precious data for long enough to be productive.

That is the LAST MacBook Pro to ship with a rotating magnetic drive. And it is replaceable, but you should substitute a sold-state drive (SSD) at least 500GB instead.

This site sells them:

https://eshop.macsales.com/upgrades/macbook-pro-15-inch-mid-2012-2.7-ghz/internal-drives

consider using an external enclosure to install MacOS first, leaving the "surgery" with its own possible complications, until later. or consider that you may have to replace the drive cable again for the faster drive.

Jan 23, 2022 10:23 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I think at this stage, I will reluctantly go for that plan - as it is my last chance to save this machine. I say reluctantly, as I am not in a financially good place right now, and I already bought an external HD and USB drive back while I was still trying to save the data on that dodgy drive.

Anyway, it's still a lot cheaper than a new (refurb/2nd hand) Macbook - so I guess it is worth a shot.

I am in UK, but I found a website that shows me compatible SSD's for my model. Do I need any other kind of cable to install it, and if I am using it externally via USB, what exact product should I go for when it comes to that? I know there are USB caddy's out there for that, but I don't want to waste further money purchasing any wrong formats etc. I just need to confirm exactly all I need to purchase for this last revival attempt. It is advising me to go for a Samsung 870 EVO SSD.

Thanks so much for your help. It is highly appreciated.

Steve.

Jan 23, 2022 11:14 AM in response to skeletal_wreck

Your Mac will install, boot and run from an external drive if you have a "found" drive that is compatible.

An SSD drive was a recommendation only because, if you had to buy one, they are faster. No special cables required -- as you documented, the INTERNAL cable is delicate.

Every Mac AFTER yours shipped with an SSD boot drive. First in the same form factor, then much later, soldered to the board.

Jan 23, 2022 2:30 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hmm, I see. Thank you - that is all very helpful. I did buy a 1TB external drive, and a good sized Sandisc USB and tried to boot from that. At least I thought I was creating a bootable HD. I followed the on screen instructions and it was more like an installer. Although, perhaps I was supposed to target the installation to the external HD?

I've been doing a lot of thinking about this, and although I can't afford it - I may purchase a used 2020 MBP and just pay for it with Pay Pal Credit. The 2012 runs just fine for my needs, but it is getting to the stage that I am unable to keep everything on it fully updated due to outdated/unsupported issues. It's a toss up if I should invest much more into the 2012 with parts when I could be putting anything I have towards a new one, then perhaps fix the 2012 MBP with a new SSD later.

Jan 28, 2022 7:35 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Well, I bit the bullet and bought a 2020 MacBook Pro M1.

I am still working on my 2012 dead MacBook. All my business files are on there. I'm not sure I'll ever get them back.

Tried everything to find files and back it up, all unsuccessful. I eventually as a last resort re-Formatted the HD and reinstalled OS in several different ways, all failed. My last prior backup drive failed also.

Anyway, heres the latest. I bought a USB caddy/enclosure for the internal HD and pulled it out. I slotted it into the new enclosure and plugged that into my new Macbook. I've been doing a Disk Drill deep scan, which so far is showing nothing. I also tried Quick Scan. It is reporting quite a lot of "bad sectors".

QUESTION: Today I remembered that just before I formatted the problematic HD, I did actually make a full disk back-up Image. I have the disk image saved to another external drive. I am just wondering, can this be used in any way to extract files from before I had reformatted? How is the best way to go about using this Disk Image to extract any files it may still hold?

Thanks, Steve.

Jan 28, 2022 8:02 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks so much. Sorry for the silly questions: Is that a destructive process? I am sort of grasping at the final straws here so I am trying my best to proceed with caution. I do not want to ruin the disk image, or do something which I can not return from. I am hoping I can use the most appropriate method advised to try to extract files from that disk image. Any ideas on the best way forward? Thanks, and sorry for the bother.

Mid-2012 i7 Macbook Pro Dead. Will Not Install OS. Help :(

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.