Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cellular Update Failed

Hi everyone.

So, every time my iPhone 12 Pro has an update, it messes with my cellular data and says there's an error. (Meaning I have no signal) When I click on cellular, it says "An update is required to use cellular data on this iPhone." Then, I'll go to General > Software update > but it tells me my phone is up to date. I've tried everything at this point,

1. Restarting my iPhone
  2. Resetting the network settings
  3. Taking out my sim card, waiting a couple of minutes before putting it back in
  4. Connecting my phone to my Macbook Air and updating it from there

Nothing seems to work! Now, it looks like I might have to send my phone to get repaired, all because of an update? This has never happened to any of my iPhones before, but this is the 2nd time it's happened on this iPhone 12 Pro. This is absolutely inconvenient and ridiculous! It's been 2 days and I haven't been able to call anyone.

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 23, 2022 11:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2022 12:03 PM

Sorry, but this is a user to user only forum. Are you using a physical sim card in your iPhone 12? You might want to get it replaced. Or you might want to ask your cellular provide if they support eSim as iPhone 12 is fully capable of using eSim.

If you have an Apple Store near you, I'd also suggest scheduling an appointment at your Apple Store Genius Bar for evaluation, where they can run diagnostics on the phone for you.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2022 12:03 PM in response to nickey0120

Sorry, but this is a user to user only forum. Are you using a physical sim card in your iPhone 12? You might want to get it replaced. Or you might want to ask your cellular provide if they support eSim as iPhone 12 is fully capable of using eSim.

If you have an Apple Store near you, I'd also suggest scheduling an appointment at your Apple Store Genius Bar for evaluation, where they can run diagnostics on the phone for you.

Jan 23, 2022 12:16 PM in response to lobsterghost1

I just made a reservation for the Apple Store Genius Bar nearby on Wednesday since that's the closest appointment date they have available. Hopefully I can figure out how to fix it before then, if not I always have that appointment coming up.

Will keep you updated if I end up finding a solution of my own or if they fix it. Thank you so much again!

Cellular Update Failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.