Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

usb c dongle doesnt work with hdmi

i have a ipad pro 2021 11 inch. i bought a usb c hub with some connections. but my ipad doesnt let me use the hmdi function. he wount see it or something. but my girlfriend has a ipad air 2020 and de usb c hub does work with her ipad. can it be because i have tuntherbold 4 connection en she doesnt. please help. (please dont say i have to buy the usb c to hdmi dongle from apple.)

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 23, 2022 12:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2022 12:38 PM

Be aware that very few third-party USB-C HDMI adapters/hubs support HDCP 2.0 - absence of which will inhibit the ability to output copy-protected HD media content from iPad to a connected monitor/TV over an HDMI connection.  Screen mirroring to the TV/monitor will work, but streamed HD content will not play without HDCP support.

The Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter does support HDCP 2.0:

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MUF82ZM/A

Note also that some 2021 iPad Pro models with USB-C support DisplayPort Alternate Mode over USB-C. This protocol allows direct connection, with an appropriate Thunderbolt cable, to a monitor that supports DisplayPort - removing the need for HDMI.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2022 12:38 PM in response to brembutterhem

Be aware that very few third-party USB-C HDMI adapters/hubs support HDCP 2.0 - absence of which will inhibit the ability to output copy-protected HD media content from iPad to a connected monitor/TV over an HDMI connection.  Screen mirroring to the TV/monitor will work, but streamed HD content will not play without HDCP support.

The Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter does support HDCP 2.0:

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MUF82ZM/A

Note also that some 2021 iPad Pro models with USB-C support DisplayPort Alternate Mode over USB-C. This protocol allows direct connection, with an appropriate Thunderbolt cable, to a monitor that supports DisplayPort - removing the need for HDMI.

Jan 23, 2022 12:33 PM in response to brembutterhem

Unfortunately, the only way that you are going to be able to get support from Apple for a dongle is to purchase an Apple dongle. If you buy a third-party dongle, it isn't that it isn't going to work, but if you are looking for support you are going to need to get in touch with the manufacturer of that dongle.

Are there any settings that are different from your iPad to your girlfriends? I have never had an issue with a dongle that works on my iPad Air or my wife's iPad Pro.

What happens on your iPad Pro when you plug it in? What happens on your girlfriend's iPad when you plug it in? There is something going on, but it is pretty vague what is going on. As I said, the best option that you have is to get in touch with the manufacturer of the dongle and talk with them. If you want support from Apple, then you're going to have to go with Apple products.

usb c dongle doesnt work with hdmi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.