Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issue Connecting 2 External Displays to Macbook Pro 14" M1 Max (currently recognizing both as 1)

Hi everyone,

Straight to the point: my Macbook Pro 14" M1 Max (running Monterey) is recognizing 2 external monitors as 1, so they're displaying the same thing.

I recently upgraded to the Mac from the Dell XPS15 2-in-1. I'm using a docking station (linked below) connected to 2 external monitors (also linked below). The Dell connected to both monitors correctly, but the Mac is currently recognizing both monitors as 1 unit instead of 2. I'd like it to recognize both of them separately so I can use them independently.

The setup:

Does anyone know why this issue could be happening? I've disconnected, reconnected, tried a couple troubleshooting processes, etc. Not sure what's going on. I'd love any thoughts!

Thank you!

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 23, 2022 3:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2022 3:18 PM

How are you connecting the displays to the Dock? Dell says it must be done EXACTLY this way:

Summary: A guide for providing guidance on using an Apple USB-C host (example: MacBook Pro) with the Dell Thunderbolt Dock WD19TB and explaining the limitations or issues one might encounter when using them together.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000124312/dell-thunderbolt-dock-wd19tb-and-apple-usb-c-hosts

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2022 3:18 PM in response to DavKind

How are you connecting the displays to the Dock? Dell says it must be done EXACTLY this way:

Summary: A guide for providing guidance on using an Apple USB-C host (example: MacBook Pro) with the Dell Thunderbolt Dock WD19TB and explaining the limitations or issues one might encounter when using them together.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000124312/dell-thunderbolt-dock-wd19tb-and-apple-usb-c-hosts

Jan 23, 2022 4:59 PM in response to DavKind

The Mac can CAN handle multiple displays through a genuine ThunderBolt cable, provided most of the traffic is outbound (toward the displays). To do this trick, it 'turns around' the inbound lanes, effectively doubling the possible bandwidth available.

A DisplayPort cable does not have an additional set of conductors, and is getting close to saturated at about 4K Hi-Color display. So the idea that you are going to cram two full displays into that one DisplayPort cable, is ... something Apple decided was not worth the Engineering time and effort. Users would Immediately overwhelm the capability of a DisplayPort cable, and then proceed to bash Apple about their poor implementation.

Jan 23, 2022 3:41 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you for taking the time to respond, Grant!

My sincere apologies though.. I realized that I mistakenly linked the wrong docking station. This is the WD19 version I'm using: https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-dock-wd19s-130w/apd/210-azbg/pc-accessories#support_section

I'm trying to locate a similar article to the one you replied with. If you have any thoughts on this setup, I'd love to hear them!

Jan 23, 2022 3:46 PM in response to DavKind

Update: I just found this article, which seems to address the issue: https://www.dell.com/community/Monitors/WD19-130W-dock-MacBook-Pro-monitors-not-working/td-p/7578975

It looks like the solutions are either to buy a different docking station or connect the second monitor directly to the Macbook.. Not exactly excited about either option, though. Frustrating that the Mac can't handle multiple displays through 1 displayport cable.

Issue Connecting 2 External Displays to Macbook Pro 14" M1 Max (currently recognizing both as 1)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.