Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any advice on getting two monitors working with iMAC M1, with Ventura 13.2.1

Help please - not a tech - so desperately out of my depth.

Just purchased a new iMac with M1 and also sold Alogic docking station, with two HDMI cables to attach to my 2 additional monitors ( Samsung) - been working fine with old iMAC. Both new-ish monitors Cannot get anything at all on the monitors or even have the Mac recognise that they are there. Any clues? Totally desperate and being very ignorant, totally stressed not being able to resolve this dilemma!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 13, 2023 11:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2023 8:26 AM

Ozpsych1 wrote:

Just purchased a new iMac with M1 and also sold Alogic docking station, with two HDMI cables to attach to my 2 additional monitors ( Samsung) - been working fine with old iMAC. Both new-ish monitors Cannot get anything at all on the monitors or even have the Mac recognise that they are there. Any clues? Totally desperate and being very ignorant, totally stressed not being able to resolve this dilemma!

The M1 Macs only support one external display.

From Use one or more external displays with your Mac - Apple Support (English)

"For Mac computers with the Apple M1 Chip: You can connect a single external display to your Mac. Docks don’t increase the number of displays you can connect. On a Mac mini with M1 chip, you can connect a

second display to the HDMI port. See the Apple Support article Mac computers with Apple silicon."

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2023 8:26 AM in response to Ozpsych1

Ozpsych1 wrote:

The M1 Macs only support one external display.

From Use one or more external displays with your Mac - Apple Support (English)

"For Mac computers with the Apple M1 Chip: You can connect a single external display to your Mac. Docks don’t increase the number of displays you can connect. On a Mac mini with M1 chip, you can connect a

second display to the HDMI port. See the Apple Support article Mac computers with Apple silicon."

Mar 14, 2023 12:49 AM in response to Ozpsych1

Officially, the iMac 24" M1 only supports one external display.

Your writing is unclear: you wrote "also sold Alogic docking station".

Can you please clarify?

It seems to me that you are using a particular docking station with two HDMI ports.

Please tell us:

• which docking station exactly? How is it connected? I presume via USB-C, is that correct?
  • does it work if you connect only one of the displays?
  • when you say that the mac does not recognize that they're there - does it "see" the docking station? Hold down Option key and from the Apple menu choose "System Information". Show us what you see under USB, and under Displays

Note: you may be able to actually use the two displays, despite this configuration not being directly supported; there is a third party software "DisplayLink" that could make it work - if your particular dock is supported by it.

Any advice on getting two monitors working with iMAC M1, with Ventura 13.2.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.