Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost my preview area in Mail

I inadvertently moved the divider bar all the way to the bottom -- it gave a 'snap' and attached itself to the window edge. But now I cannot get the preview area back. When I hover over the center 'dot' the cursor appearance does change to tempt me to drag up. But, alas, I cannot.

How can I get this back working?

MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 23, 2022 9:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2022 10:22 PM

You might have success at restoring your previous view by:

Hovering, as you have observed, at the foot of the window pane. An indicator will appear looking like a line with an upward arrow. You have to click and hold this from the foot of the pane and move it up the screen. The pane won't change until you have moved the cursor about a quarter of the way up.

Or you could play around with the options in the View option in the menu bar and reset it back to Show Bottom Preview. This seems to have a default setting of showing the bottom part of the preview ready to be populated with one of your emails.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2022 10:22 PM in response to keriah

You might have success at restoring your previous view by:

Hovering, as you have observed, at the foot of the window pane. An indicator will appear looking like a line with an upward arrow. You have to click and hold this from the foot of the pane and move it up the screen. The pane won't change until you have moved the cursor about a quarter of the way up.

Or you could play around with the options in the View option in the menu bar and reset it back to Show Bottom Preview. This seems to have a default setting of showing the bottom part of the preview ready to be populated with one of your emails.

Jan 24, 2022 8:53 AM in response to David McKinlay

Thank you! Thank you!

You have to click and hold ...

That was the key -- "hold." When I clicked down and moved quickly, it didn't 'stick'. In fact, the first time I held it down just a bit and it didn't catch so that I could drag. I tried again, giving it a longer time on the 'hold' action before I started to drag up. And, like a miracle, I now have the bottom pane back.

Lost my preview area in Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.