Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot hide columns with merged cells

I have 3 columns with 3 merged cells in some rows (including header row). When I select the columns in popup drop menu 'Hide Selected Columns' item is grey and I cannot click on it. When I export into Excel file, and open it in Excel and select the columns in the similar popup drop menu, I see 'Hide' item which is not grey. I click on it and columns disappear. Unfortunately, opening in Numbers the saved Excel file unhides the columns again.

It is not convenient to switch to Excel. 😢

Is there some way in Numbers to hide columns with merged cells?

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 12:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 8:43 AM

Hi —George,

Try this.

Cells A1 and C1 must be blank.

With B1 selected, Format Panel > Text > turn off Wrap Text in Cell

But they are not merged 😉.

And no need to hide cell borders

Regards,

Ian.

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 24, 2022 7:50 AM in response to —George

I don't know why it is the way it is. You would think as long as you hide all the connected columns you would be able to do it (or the connected ones would hide automatically if you hide any of them) but it is not that way.

Given that you have cells merged across three columns, un-merging them and turning off word wrap (and perhaps turning off some border lines) should look the same. You can use the leftmost column if you want it to be left justified, middle column if you want it to be centered, or rightmost if you want right justified. When there are only two cells merged, it is hard to do center justification.

Cannot hide columns with merged cells

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.