Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot adjust column size in numbers

I have header columns that were made by merging columns. So the columns underneath do not show up on top. I can adjust the column size when I click on the line between the columns,

According to the instructions, I click on the cell, but there is no arrow for the column. <rant>I know this is not the "E*" program from the "M" corporation, but the commands, screen layout, vocabulary and even model of operation are different than other applications from our Blessed Core Mother. I'm sure there are copyright issues, but Apple won that one against HP years ago. Basic functions such as how to edit a cell have to be learned all over and are not intuitive. </rant over>

After a prozac and meditation just how do I (automatically) adjust a column where the border does not go to the top, and (less likely) can I do it for all columns at once?

*The spreadsheet that dare not be named.

MacBook Air

Posted on Jun 8, 2021 4:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2021 5:46 PM

The image in your post appears to show two tables, one in front of the other, with the content of one table showing through the cells (and their content) of the other. Some rows of the one table appear offset up or down from the other's, and several column boundaries on one table are likewise not aligned with those of the other table.

In the column containing 'names' there appears to be some scribbling. Does this have a purpose?

Would you like to get your head together, lose the rant (such as it was) and write a clear and simple description of what you are attempting to do, what part of that attempt has failed, and a straightforward question regarding what you need help with.

Regards,

Barry

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2021 5:46 PM in response to Jarmaracark

The image in your post appears to show two tables, one in front of the other, with the content of one table showing through the cells (and their content) of the other. Some rows of the one table appear offset up or down from the other's, and several column boundaries on one table are likewise not aligned with those of the other table.

In the column containing 'names' there appears to be some scribbling. Does this have a purpose?

Would you like to get your head together, lose the rant (such as it was) and write a clear and simple description of what you are attempting to do, what part of that attempt has failed, and a straightforward question regarding what you need help with.

Regards,

Barry

Jun 8, 2021 5:04 PM in response to Jarmaracark

I am really not sure what you are doing. In the screenshot below I merged the header cells for C and D. The column letters still appear at the top. Hover your mouse on the line between the C and D at the top until you see the arrows appear then click and drag left/right to adjust column C. Do the same on the line between D and E to adjust column D. And so on.

Cannot adjust column size in numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.