Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cell height keeps resetting

I have a hard time finding a solution to this because I'm not quite sure what to even search.

But I have a very lengthy spreadsheet where the cells have bullet points, and wrapped text. So naturally, the cells will grow in height. But every time I close and re-open the spreadsheet, the heights of most of the cells will shrink and I have to "reset" the height of the cells by double clicking on them to reveal the entire cell's information.

The first picture shows what it looks like when I first open the spreadsheet, and the second image is when I double click on the cell with the hidden text, it resizes to show the whole thing.

The thing is that I can't get it to stay that way when I reopen the spreadsheet instead of having to double click on all the cells to reveal the information. Not sure if it's a glitch or something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Air

Posted on Mar 28, 2021 5:22 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Mar 28, 2021 5:51 PM in response to jhintak

I am not able to duplicate the problem so I can't say for sure what will work to make this stop. Did this document begin its life in Numbers or was it imported from Excel?

Double clicking on a cell reveals the hidden text in a cell that is too short but does not adjust the size of the row. If it is "resetting" the row height for you, that is not normal behavior. Maybe actually resizing the rows will fix it.

1. Back up your file (always a good idea)
  2. Select all cells (click in the table then use Command A to select all).
  3. Go to the "Table" tab in the sidebar
  4. Scroll down until you see "Row & Column Size"
  5. Change the row height to something like 0.1 (rarely are rows that short and we want a number that changes all the rows). The entire table should get really short with all rows the same height.
  6. Click on "Fit" next to the height. The table should expand in height so that all text is displayed like you want it to be.

Mar 28, 2021 6:07 PM in response to Badunit

Wow I promise you I'm someone who's very competent in computers, and I am so ashamed that I didn't read your instructions correctly the first time. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Ok I tried that and it seems like the issue persists when I re-open Numbers. I actually exported it as an excel file, and then opened it on Numbers.

So I just did a few tests by copy + pasting directly from Google Sheets rather than doing the Sheets > Excel > Numbers... and it seems the issue is gone!

Thank you for prompting that thought! You have been of utmost help!

Cell height keeps resetting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.