Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet (wired) network goes to sleep when locking the user session or when user logged out

Hello,

I need to keep the ethernet (wired) network connection of my Mac Mini (late 2014 model with MacOS Monterey 12.1) always up (so it never goes to sleep) so my wifi document scanner can always save scanned files to it.

It looks like the network goes to sleep when I lock my user session on the mac or when my user is logged out.

Is there a setting/preference to keep the ethernet connection always on? I've tried changing "Conserve Power" settings (enabled never sleep the screen, enabled prevent your mac from ..., disabled put hard disk ..., enabled wake from network, enabled startup after power failure, disabled enable power nap) but it seems it does not help.

I've also seen the "airport" command line tool and its "DisconnectOnLogout=NO" preference for doing the same on the Wifi adapter but it cannot be used with the ethernet adapter ...

Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 12:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 1:12 AM

I hope I'm reading your question correctly. You want to prevent your Mac's ethernet connection from going down due to sleep mode.

Go to Preferences -> Energy Saver

Check the first box labeled "Prevent your Mac from automatically sleeping when the display is off"

Check the "Wake for network access"

Uncheck "Enable Power Nap"

This "should" prevent your Mac from entering any kind of sleep mode. The only thing I would do is to change the "turn off display after:" slider to less time so your monitor doesn't stay on. So even with you log off your Mac, it will still continue to be fully awake.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2022 1:12 AM in response to gdigrego

I hope I'm reading your question correctly. You want to prevent your Mac's ethernet connection from going down due to sleep mode.

Go to Preferences -> Energy Saver

Check the first box labeled "Prevent your Mac from automatically sleeping when the display is off"

Check the "Wake for network access"

Uncheck "Enable Power Nap"

This "should" prevent your Mac from entering any kind of sleep mode. The only thing I would do is to change the "turn off display after:" slider to less time so your monitor doesn't stay on. So even with you log off your Mac, it will still continue to be fully awake.

Ethernet (wired) network goes to sleep when locking the user session or when user logged out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.