Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't find iCloud Drive folder in Finder

I'm using MacOS Big Sur. In System Preferences I have iCloud Drive turned on, but I can't find my iCloud Drive folder in the Finder.

I want to duplicate a few files (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator etc) to my iCloud Drive, as a backup (I also use Time Machine, but it would be good to have them backed up off site).

I expected to see an iCloud Drive folder on my Desktop, or in my User account, or in the sidebar of a Finder window – but I can't find it – where does it live?

In Finder I can use the Go > iCloud Drive, but I prefer to know where folders are and to be able to see them. Ideally I'd like to be able to see my iCloud Drive folder on the Desktop. Is this possible?

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 6:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 7:15 AM

Make sure you have iCloud Drive folder checked in finder preferences ( side bar section ) see the article Change preferences in the Finder on Mac - Apple Support

The folders created in iCloud Drive will be literally viewed when its opened , the way is follow the article Ways to quickly see items in the Finder on Mac - Apple Support

Read Go directly to a specific folder on Mac - Apple Support

You can drag and drop the folder say " English " literally on the desktop screen .

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2022 7:15 AM in response to Sparky Marky

Make sure you have iCloud Drive folder checked in finder preferences ( side bar section ) see the article Change preferences in the Finder on Mac - Apple Support

The folders created in iCloud Drive will be literally viewed when its opened , the way is follow the article Ways to quickly see items in the Finder on Mac - Apple Support

Read Go directly to a specific folder on Mac - Apple Support

You can drag and drop the folder say " English " literally on the desktop screen .

Jan 24, 2022 7:32 AM in response to Sparky Marky

No , iCloud Drive folder is by default in finder side bar , you can only remove from side bar ( right click on it and remove ) , but default folder should never be tried to removed to desktop screen .

See the article Folders that come with your Mac - Apple Support

Important: Your home folder and certain other folders can’t be renamed. It’s best not to rename or move folders that came with your Mac. Many of these folders have special uses and are necessary for your Mac to function correctly.

Jan 24, 2022 8:14 AM in response to Sparky Marky

You could create an Alisa of the iCloud rive folder and drag this Alias to the Desktop. You can use the Alias of iCloud Drive folder like original iCloud Drive for many purposes.

To create the Alias:

• Open the folder Library in your user home folder in the Finder.
  • In the Library window find the folder "Mobile Documents" (this is essentially the iCloud Drive folder)
  • Ctrl-click or right click "Mobile Documents" and use the command "Create Alias"
  • Rename the Alias to "iCloud Drive Alias".
  • Drag the "iCloud Drive Alias" to your Desktop

If the Library folder in your user Library is still hidden, you can open it from the Finder's main menu bar, in the "Go" menu, or with the shortcut ⇧⌘L .

Jan 24, 2022 9:13 AM in response to léonie

In finder side bar , applications , recents all under favourites are under finder side bar , their aliases should not be created , please recheck your answer , and consult with apple support .

In my views no alias for default folders .

You might be creating alias for them and using it ......??

Also in your screen shot you have dragged and dropped complete user library in finder side bar , no it's not to be done .

I have opened my user library see the screen shot of it .

In the finder side bar there is no option to select user library folder to be placed and saved ? so what's the reason of it , any ideas one day save complete system library folder in finder side bar .

I don't agree .

Can't find iCloud Drive folder in Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.