Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reinstall el Capitan and mojave

I'm using various machines, but the system software on all of them gives me errors and I cannot reproduce.

I need to find 2 clean and full installers for ELCAPITAN and MOJAVE. For a variety of reasons, I am not interested in the newer Systems as I have many files which I can only use with the older systems and they were not upgraded. Besides after 30 years on Mac I am too old to learn how to use the new systems.

Since the software is no longer available at the AppStore, where can I find the full and clean installers to put on two different brand new small hard disk (I don't like the USB keys).

Apple suggests me how to install these system software in the empty and new small USB3 drives I bought for this purpose. If I found them I will be able to use the terminal to both make the small Hardware, or any other Apple suggested way to have a totally clean installation.

Could anybody be so kind to give me a link where I can find the TWO system software I need?

I think Apple should still allow older users to find what they need to run the machines they paid for even for a price, rather than forcing them to go crazy and attempting to do so in strange and not Apple blessed ways.

Thanks sincerely to anyone who would want to give a hand.

Dan

PS this page doesn't allow me to indicate the various machines, and system I am asking help for.

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 10:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 10:01 AM

It would therefore appear the user ( you ) are using a Computer that Does Not Qualify to Run Mojave or El Capitan.

OS X El Capitan - Technical Specifications and if the computer is Not Specifically Listed - that computer can not be used to Download and / or Create a Bootable of El. Captain

macOS Mojave - Technical Specifications and if the computer is Not Specifically Listed - that computer can not be used to Download and / or Create a Bootable of Mojave

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of XXX ? would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run XXX.

Therefore - if the computer being used to create a Bootable Installer for either El Capitan and / or Mojave is too new - this is the wrong computer to perform these actions .

It does not matter that - making a Bootable Installer - as per the " Apple Licence of Use " prohibits this computer from downloading or installing or downgrading or making a Bootable Installer for another computer.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2022 10:01 AM in response to DanWan

It would therefore appear the user ( you ) are using a Computer that Does Not Qualify to Run Mojave or El Capitan.

OS X El Capitan - Technical Specifications and if the computer is Not Specifically Listed - that computer can not be used to Download and / or Create a Bootable of El. Captain

macOS Mojave - Technical Specifications and if the computer is Not Specifically Listed - that computer can not be used to Download and / or Create a Bootable of Mojave

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of XXX ? would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run XXX.

Therefore - if the computer being used to create a Bootable Installer for either El Capitan and / or Mojave is too new - this is the wrong computer to perform these actions .

It does not matter that - making a Bootable Installer - as per the " Apple Licence of Use " prohibits this computer from downloading or installing or downgrading or making a Bootable Installer for another computer.

Jan 25, 2022 2:59 AM in response to dmajo

The Age of this computer will Govern what newer version of macOS it will Qualify to install. Use About this Mac from the Apple Icon on Desktop - the required Information will be there.

With the above information in-hand - follow this How to get old versions of macOS and verify what version this computer Qualifies to install.  For Best results use Safari to commence the download as Others may not work.

Safari will open a redirect and open the Apple Store where the download can commence

Jan 25, 2022 9:25 AM in response to PRP_53

My various machines are all perfectly apt to use both El Capitan and Mojave.

Also following the link you suggest it leads to a page where I can upgrade El capitan not FRESH and CLEAN install it.

As for MOJAVE as I did some updates, the page tells me I cannot update MOJAVE as my current verision is too new.

Youj are always very kind Mr. Pjillips, but I am in a terrible situation as I need to send a screenplay else I will loose the job and I don't know how to do it.

Because of the COVID19 I cannot go t a friend with MAC bringing my portable HD so I am rather desperate.

I recall seeing years ago some software which was meant for People on Windows, and they had a link to install both some software which would automatically create the ssd or hd with the older version, and also allowed to download an ELCAPITAN full verion.

DO you know anything about it?

Thanks for your time and kind regards

Jan 26, 2022 9:50 AM in response to PRP_53

I am unable to send the ELCAPITAN screenshot as I erased the whole thing but I am positive about the machine being apt to use ELCAPITAN since this was the software I used before merasing it.

Also Using the APPLE INSTRUCTION as suggested on a brand new SSDKEY I receve this error from terminal:

Last login: Tue Jan 25 16:35:40 on console

mkdir: /Users/dante/.bash_sessions: Operation not permitted

Extremo:~ dante$ sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app

Password:

/Volumes/MyVolume is not a valid volume mount point.

Extremo:~ dante$ 

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Serial Number]

Jan 26, 2022 9:53 AM in response to dmajo

When the El Capitan is downloaded it would come as a DMG file. That file needs to opened. Once opened and PKG file will be inside. If that is present double click the PKG and that will place a new application inside Applications folder called Install El Capitan.

Then and only then run the Terminal Command without Quotation Marks. The Untitled in below command is the Actual Name of the External Drive that needs to formatted as HFS Journaled and GUID Partition Map.

" sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app --nointeraction "

Though, I doubt any of this will succeed for the reasons already presented earlier.

reinstall el Capitan and mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.