Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family Sharing no longer opens on iMac

Just set up a new iMac last month.

It uses my primary "family" AppleID and in the beginning I was able to go under System Preferences, click Family Sharing and add my wife and my other AppleID for my iPhone.

Several strange problems. concerns?

1: iPhone under System Preferences it shows the wrong Organizer user name for Family Sharing account (but is sharing iCloud and Media & Purchases. Why does it show the wrong Organizer and how do I correct it? (my iPad shows all the correct information).

2: On my iMac, under System Preferences, clicking Family Sharing - nothing shows up, does not list the accounts I am sharing with and does not provide anyway to add or remove addition shares? How do I fix this? iMac Apple ID is correct.

iMac 24″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 10:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 10:33 AM

Hey there, Grinch,

If we understand, you have set up Family Sharing in the past and recently signed into the organizer's Apple ID on a new iMac. However, you are unable to view or access the organizer preferences. We are happy to help!

Based on what you've described, we would suggest just verifying that you have the correct Apple ID signed in on the iMac: Sign in with your Apple ID - Apple Support. Then, restart the iMac and try again: Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support.

If the issue continues, please get in touch with Apple Support directly: Get Support.

Best!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2022 10:33 AM in response to Grinch

Hey there, Grinch,

If we understand, you have set up Family Sharing in the past and recently signed into the organizer's Apple ID on a new iMac. However, you are unable to view or access the organizer preferences. We are happy to help!

Based on what you've described, we would suggest just verifying that you have the correct Apple ID signed in on the iMac: Sign in with your Apple ID - Apple Support. Then, restart the iMac and try again: Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support.

If the issue continues, please get in touch with Apple Support directly: Get Support.

Best!

Jan 25, 2022 2:48 PM in response to Lindsay_B.

Lindsay -

Problem #1 on iMac

I am signed into the correct AppleID on the iMac and I have restarted the iMac several times.

The correct AppleID is always signed into on the iMac

I started the Family Sharing on the iMac.

When I started, I was able to click Family Sharing under System Preferences, and have the ability to add/remove invites users to the Family Sharing. Once they accepted I was able to see what the space they were using on the iCloud.

Now when I click on Family Sharing, nothing is in the new window, no ability to add/remove users and no ability to see what is shared.

Problem #2 on iPhone (different AppleID) - it shows it is on the Family Sharing Plan, sharing cloud and Media Purchases but does not display the correct organizer user name. I have restarted the iPhone several times.

In comparison my iPad which shares the same AppleID with my iPhone does show the correct Family Sharing organizer user name and icon.

Problem #3 on wires iPhone (different AppleID) - is similar to my iPhone, shows it is on the Family Plan, sharing cloud and media but displays wrong organizer user name but correct organizer icon.

Leary of signing out of AppleID on iMac and then signing back on.

I did that earlier and it switched the entire Family Sharing Organizer to a different AppleID (my iPhone).

That looks hours to correct with signing in and out on all the devices.

Family Sharing no longer opens on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.