Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to create a new library , merge libraries keeping captions

Some assistance required please regarding Photos on my iMac.

Over the years and OSs I seem to have several photolibrary's  one of which contains some slides that were scanned many years ago into a ".pct" format. Somehow they now no longer show only a large "! mark" .

I have now re-scanned them all and wish to consolidate my photo library into one retaining all the descriptions of when, where & who is in the photo and keep them with all my other pics in the one library.

Can this be done safely on my iMac?. I have looked at many reports and suggestions on-line. My proposal is firstly do backups of each library;

Make a new system Photolibrary.

Select all from each "old" library and import into new library.

If successful, I can then delete the old libraries freeing up space on my iMac.

This may seem an easy operation but can anyone give some more tips and advice please?

Alan

iMac 27″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 3:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 3:38 PM

Hi - Backups a very good, (and very important) plan.

With the new library import tool in photos 7 (Monterey) "most" metadata is also imported, but not keywords. I believe face data is also not transferred. Don't ask why keywords are excluded - I've no idea.

(See - https://support.apple.com/en-mide/HT209528)

So it depends on how you have recorded descriptions etc.

The best thing to do will be to try an import of a few phtoos with the most data and see if what you need transfers OK.

If it does, then fine, you can go ahead and import from your other libraries using the new features.

If it doesn't then your best bet will be the third party tool PowerPhotos from fat cat software. (around £$30). This will transfer everything except faces.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2022 3:38 PM in response to ribbo39

Hi - Backups a very good, (and very important) plan.

With the new library import tool in photos 7 (Monterey) "most" metadata is also imported, but not keywords. I believe face data is also not transferred. Don't ask why keywords are excluded - I've no idea.

(See - https://support.apple.com/en-mide/HT209528)

So it depends on how you have recorded descriptions etc.

The best thing to do will be to try an import of a few phtoos with the most data and see if what you need transfers OK.

If it does, then fine, you can go ahead and import from your other libraries using the new features.

If it doesn't then your best bet will be the third party tool PowerPhotos from fat cat software. (around £$30). This will transfer everything except faces.

Feb 10, 2022 1:04 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Hi folks,

Having taken some time out, I'm coming back to this quandry having backed up my iPhoto Library to an external SSD formatted as APFS(case-sensitive).

The new library doesn't have the pics in the way I would like them, so I thought I could import from the SSD my "old" library.

Unfortunately, when I try, I get a pop-up saying the library has already been imported.

Should I delete the newly created library first, and then attempt to to re-import the original from the SSD?

Alan

how to create a new library , merge libraries keeping captions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.