Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Keychain User Sub CA1

Hey guys,

On my new MacBook I discovered that in the Login section of Keychain some of the certificates are not trusted. One of them is the following: "Basic Attestation User Sub CA1" – certificate not trusted.

Also,

In the System section the following certificates have "not being verified by a third party":

com.apple.kerberos.kdc

com.apple.systemdefault

Any ideas why this is happening?

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 4:15 PM

Similar questions

13 replies

Feb 4, 2022 12:17 PM in response to MrHoffman

Is it possible to somehow elevate this case to Apple?

The problems are severe

A big Privacy issues - for example: My iMessages are since with different Apple ID. It's strange, but my devices are using different iCloud/Apple accounts to sync data.

I'm having 2 hour calls with apple but then call just dropped and I have to start it over.

Please help, I know MacOS, IOS very well, but can't explain why is it happening.

Mar 11, 2022 9:13 PM in response to zmbg208

I'm having difficulty with the Wallet, Apple Cash, Apple Card, this Basic Attestation User Sub CA1 certificate, mismatched Apple ID in iMessage and iCloud on iPhone, and FaceTime on my Mac. My calls go from my phone to the Mac but show up as "FaceTime" for calls coming and going to certain users of Android. I received the explanation that in settings for Phone, when you have Wifi Calling and Calls on Other Devices checked you can transfer the call to the computer and it will say "FaceTime." This is not accurate because my FaceTime will be signed out on my Mac, Wifi Calling is off, because FaceTime is signed out on my Mac the box for "Calls from iPhone" isn't an option and even when it signs itself in that option under preferences is not checked. When I go to change my audio output, I will see the option to connect to the computer but if you select it it is just silent.

I can go on and be more specific with all my issues, but I've been bogged down by all the issues. Its hard to know how to approach it because every time I talk to Apple it is 9 different departments and at this point 20 people and some supervisors. They've done screen recordings and even put a management profile on my iPhone. I don't hear back from anyone and they divert the issues by not allowing me to address everything at once. I have done restores and restores. It is so much of my time I want to ask Apple how I can get a job with them I've trouble shooted issues for them almost all day for months now and I just keep seeing things that are not right but have to start from the beginning every time. It is unfair. Apple - please let me get paid for doing this and working with you instead of against you.

Feb 4, 2022 7:21 PM in response to MrHoffman

Thanks MrHoffman

Apple Support has been great, but when things go too bad they are not the best – I would say :)

Reseting devices does not help. I have even reseted the whole Keychain.

It might be Apple Pay or Card that's ruining everything – It's impossible to separate Apple (Apple's Credit) Card from device I guess.

Something that's deeper than just a typical problem.

It's strange when I can use iMessage on iCloud and don't see that the storage is used.

Thanks again!

May 5, 2022 10:48 PM in response to zmbg208

I have all these same issues on a new MacBook Pro m1 pro. This one has only been online 8 hours or so. Fresh out of the box, I set it up the user and password offline. I looked in my keychain first before going online and this Basic Attestation User Sub CA1 certificate is not trusted  was NOT there. After going online and adding an Apple ID and going to iTunes to add a debit card I think is when it appeared. It's a new Apple ID, no iPhone or iPad associated with it, I have not used mail or messages on this MacBook Pro. The software is still lean with just anti malware apps installed other than Apple software. When going to the App Store and or iTunes to "verify identity" and add my debit card I get error messages that said to contact apple when trying to input my credit card in iTunes. It would not allow me to add my debit card. I had to use a gift card instead. I had this exact same problem on 2 of my newer MacBook Air M1 recently as well. Due to a recent hacker / malware problem on ALL my Apple devices I was forced to make a lot of new AppleID's as I worked through this problem so I think my card was associated to many Apple ID's thus the rejection.

Apparently this issues has been going on since 2020 if you look in these forums and Apple still hasn't bothered to fix it. From reading the Malwarebytes forums their developers mention hackers use untrusted keychain certificates to bypass malware detection software, which I was experiencing for many months (a nightmare). I'm not saying this Basic Attestation User Sub CA1 certificate is how they did it but its another security hole Apple hasn't bothered to fix. Why does Apple leave these untrusted certificates just hanging out there for years leaving our expensive computers vulnerable. :(

MacBook Keychain User Sub CA1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.