Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Air Tags won't work with Duracell batteries

I have the same problem as the people in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IEDSPaJHbo

The batteries from Duracell, brand new won't work because they have some kind of protective coating that won't allow contact. It's not a software problem, it's a fit problem with Air Tags ,and a design problem.

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 4:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 5:02 PM

Who would ever think of buying Panasonic batteries?

13 replies

Jan 24, 2022 5:28 PM in response to grburgess

You have gone way off topic, if the AirTags work with every battery out there except Duracell then the issue would be with Duracell, not with the AirTag. If it was an AirTag issue it would not work with any replacement battery. If Duracell is adding a coating that is not within the standard for that size battery then they have the issue.

Jan 24, 2022 5:36 PM in response to grburgess

That isn't a theory, it is a fact. If Sennheiser makes a Bluetooth headphone that doesn't follow the Bluetooth standard so an iPhone cannot connect with it but can with every other model of Bluetooth headphone that is Sennheiser's problem, not Apple's. If Duracell has decided to add some sort of custom coating that causes it not to conform to that battery specification and therefore not work in some devices (and it wouldn't be just with AirTags) then that is on Duracell for doing that. People can be as angry as they want to be with Apple but their anger, like yours, would be misplaced. Contact Duracell and tell them to quit making proprietary batteries (assuming they are, I haven't needed to change my battery yet so I don't know from personal experience). Yours is the first post I've seen on this here so I wonder if it is an actual widespread problem.

Jan 24, 2022 5:50 PM in response to deggie

That's another issue. The batteries are supposed to last 1 year, and already I had message to change my battery after 3 months.

You seem to be stuck in a whose fault loop it is. I don't care. I am saying wait and see, but it's an issue ,and it's a big issue. 2800 kids a year are treated in hospital because they eat these batteries, and Duracell did something positive about it. I purchased and tried this battery yesterday. They don't work, and it took me a long time to find out why, and I was totally fed up.

Jan 24, 2022 5:46 PM in response to grburgess

I watch your video, note that it is from 8 months ago and the last comments are from 8 months ago so if this is going to be a widespread issue that will result in people being angry with Apple it sure is taking a long time to do so. And their reasoning and video is total amateur hour. Duracell did not write the 2032 spec and if their safety coating changed the size of the specification then they are at fault. Have you actually purchased a current 2032 Duracell battery and tried it? Perhaps they already made changes to their batteries which is why no one has really posted about this here nor on the internet for 8 months.

Jan 24, 2022 6:00 PM in response to grburgess

No, your claim is purely about Duracell and you are assuming that other manufacturers have done the same. If you purchased a Duracell battery yesterday and it didn't work today have you contacted Duracell and asked them about it?

If I were you I would contact Apple Support and ask them why your battery drained so quickly and ask them about any issues with Duracell. The video you linked is not really scientific at all as they tried one of their two Duracell's, which could have been defective, they didn't try any other batteries besides Panasonic and then they made claims based upon faulty testing. If it was a big issue why has it virtually disappeared since May 2021?

Air Tags won't work with Duracell batteries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.