Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirTag won't work with Duracel CR2032?

The AirTag battery: it won't work with Duracel CR2032? I've replaced it with 3 batteries (yes, they are fresh/10 years before expiration, no special "coatings", correct CR2032, put in the right way + side up, etc. etc., etc.) and I get an error message "not reachable." I have another AirTag, so I took that original CR2032 out and replaced it in the first one, it chirped, and registered right away, so the AirTag works.

Therefore, the AirTag doesn't accept the Duracel CR2032 batteries. Apple has no mention of any particular brands that will/won't work...

These are Costco packs of Duracel, so if I have to buy some custom CR2032 battery from Apple or some special supply store for $20@, then this isn't what I signed up for...

Now I'm guessing that they might be coated with the "bitterant coatings" Apple mentioned buried in the fine print that showed up when I Googled this topic... And mentioning it "might not work" with batteries coated with "bitterant coatings" is of NO help whatsoever since no manufacturer says "our batteries are coated with "bitterant coatings" and won't work with Apple's AirTag..." APPLE needs to say which batteries it will work with, especially when they don't seem to workwith the biggest supplier of batteries in the world. Apple, if you're listening, you might update your spec sheet. You owe it to your customers to say so upfront!)

Any suggestions? Any definitive answers before I go buy a box of another brand batteries that won't say whether or not they have "bitterant coatings" on them and won't work, either?

Thanks!

PS: Apple: please provide "topics" related to ALL your products? How the heck are we supposed to choose a topic unrelated to "AirTag"????

Posted on Nov 15, 2022 5:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2023 4:43 AM

FIXED!

Remove child anti swallow sticker, then rub the whole battery with an alcohol wipe for 30 seconds this removes the bad tasting coating that’s meant as a deterrent for small children, let it dry 10 seconds, insert and you’ll then hear the functional beep.

13 replies

Dec 30, 2022 10:25 AM in response to JNow16

Well, the moral to this story is don’t buy Duracell batteries for your AirTags in the future. Also check any battery you’re considering buying to see if it is labeled “Child Safe” or coated with bitterant. Apple has published articles stating that these batteries may have issues with AirTags and I’m sure there are other products on the market that would too. Garmin, for example, recommends not using coated batteries. There are upsides and downsides to any battery that has a coating on it where electrical conductivity is concerned. Yes, it’s about child safety but the tradeoffs have to be dealt with.

Nov 15, 2022 11:50 PM in response to GMak

This is a user forum, you are not addressing apple here  just  fellow users

personally when the battery it came with ran out then I just began using the cheap noname

batts while they may not last as long, then I havent had issues with them, but of cause one can't rule out your airtag is defect

you can try contacting apple Support ->  Get Support (apple.com)

and or give them feedback -> Product Feedback - Apple

Nov 16, 2022 7:51 PM in response to Rudegar

Thanks for sharing your experience. (Yes, I am aware that it is not "Apple" here, but occasionally they are known to search forums for trending comments on issues.) I was curious what others found as a solution on the same issue or maybe had problems with other batteries as well, and to document that there is an issue when others do a Google search under "problems with batteries for AirTag" (as I did when Googling this problem.) I ended up buying some Panasonics on Amazon - they were cheap enough as it turned out and as they last a year+, should do the trick. Thanks again for responding.

AirTag won't work with Duracel CR2032?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.