Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air mid-2015 (A1466) shutting down randomly and when unplugged

We have a 2015 MacBook Air (model A1466) that in the past year has begun shutting down any time it's unplugged regardless of the battery level and sometimes randomly when it's plugged in. We have tried to install a new hard drive, did a PMC and PRAM reset, and all the other things people have suggested. See this thread - same problem no resolution - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252179449.

I took out the battery and hard drive, installed a new hard drive, replaced the battery, and the problem persists. Apple's response to the above-mentioned thread was "here's how optimize battery life" and "did your Mac restart because of a problem". Clearly support people either don't monitor these or don't read but we'd love to know if anyone else had this problem and has figured out a solution besides throwing out the computer.

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 4:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 5:11 PM

Clearly support people either don't monitor these ...

They don't, other than to respond the way jdo_apple did in the Discussion you referenced. If you were to read the links he provided, they conclude with

Did you do that? If you got that far without resolving the problem then Apple will likely ask you to bring your Mac in for repair.

If you replaced the battery on your own though, then you're on your own. Apple will not service a Mac that has been repaired by someone else.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2022 5:11 PM in response to jrmontgomery

Clearly support people either don't monitor these ...

They don't, other than to respond the way jdo_apple did in the Discussion you referenced. If you were to read the links he provided, they conclude with

Did you do that? If you got that far without resolving the problem then Apple will likely ask you to bring your Mac in for repair.

If you replaced the battery on your own though, then you're on your own. Apple will not service a Mac that has been repaired by someone else.

Jan 24, 2022 5:41 PM in response to John Galt

Apple said “it could be the hard drive or it could be the logic board”. We used an authorized Apple retailer for replacement parts.

Since this question was already posted earlier this month (and now that thread is closed) and nobody had a resolution, I thought I’d check again.

I am fully aware that I can contact Apple Support and have taken it in.

If the community doesn’t have any further suggestions, that’s fine. But quoting the help page to contact Apple Support isn’t a solution or helpful.

Jan 25, 2022 4:46 AM in response to jrmontgomery

jrmontgomery wrote:

Apple said “it could be the hard drive or it could be the logic board”.

It could be, but you decided against taking it to Apple to determine which, correct?

Since you replaced the battery already, replace the logic board. If you replaced a battery yourself, you can replace a logic board. Component-level logic board repair is possible but Apple doesn't do that, and it would require a hands-on inspection meaning you have to take your Mac to someone capable of performing that task.

It's not the battery, it's not keyboard, it's not the screen, it's not the trackpad, it's not the speakers, it's not the "hard drive", it's not a lot of other things. It's the logic board. Replace it.

MacBook Air mid-2015 (A1466) shutting down randomly and when unplugged

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.