Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Relocating Photos and Music libraries

Years ago, I moved my iTunes and Photos libraries from my old MacBook to an external HD to free up storage space on the MacBook. I now have a new MacBook with a larger HD and would like migrate those libraries back onto the MacBook HD. Any advice on the necessary steps here? Thanks.

Old MacOS (where the external HD is connected) to the old MacBook: 10.14.6

New MacOS on the new MacBook: 11.6.2

Screen shot of these libraries on an external HD:

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 6:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 8:02 AM

You can simply copy the photos library across to your new Mac using Finder.

Then to open the photos library you have just copied either double click on the library itself (i.e. NOT the app) or hold down alt when you double click the Photos app and it'll give you the option of navigating to the library on your new Mac. Next time you open Photos library it will remember the location of the last library opened.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2022 8:02 AM in response to solarspirit

You can simply copy the photos library across to your new Mac using Finder.

Then to open the photos library you have just copied either double click on the library itself (i.e. NOT the app) or hold down alt when you double click the Photos app and it'll give you the option of navigating to the library on your new Mac. Next time you open Photos library it will remember the location of the last library opened.

Relocating Photos and Music libraries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.