Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

38wn95c-w thunderbolt port issues

Hi everyone,

I have a MacBook Pro 16" 2019 running macOS Monterey 12.1

I purchased the LG 38wn95c-w few months ago.

At start I was able to connect my MacBook Pro with the monitor with only a thunderbolt cable and all features worked perfectly (charging, USB ports and external monitor)

Since some weeks, I need to plug in the charger of the MacBook Pro otherwise I can't get my monitor working.

With the MacBook Pro charger, everything else work as intended (USB ports & display)

I tried all MacBook Pro thunderbolt ports and reseting SMC.

Did someone had a similar issue ?

Thanks in advance !

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 8:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 8:41 AM

In this M1 design, Apple stopped using the Intel ThunderBolt chips and switched to supporting more functions in software. That adds some complexity and timing issues, and readers have been reporting vague problems that boil down to: ThunderBolt can't seem to walk AND chew gum at the same time in the current software.

I expect these issues were caused by some minute problem, but for the time being, you may need to use multiple ThunderBolt ports to accomplish your goals.

Be sure to apply the latest MacOS fixes and version updates so that you can take advantage of any solution, when issued.

If your Mac is within the 90 days free telephone support window, you can call and insist that they clarify why this is happening, and when a fix is expected, along with any additional work-arounds they may have developed.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2022 8:41 AM in response to Exasky

In this M1 design, Apple stopped using the Intel ThunderBolt chips and switched to supporting more functions in software. That adds some complexity and timing issues, and readers have been reporting vague problems that boil down to: ThunderBolt can't seem to walk AND chew gum at the same time in the current software.

I expect these issues were caused by some minute problem, but for the time being, you may need to use multiple ThunderBolt ports to accomplish your goals.

Be sure to apply the latest MacOS fixes and version updates so that you can take advantage of any solution, when issued.

If your Mac is within the 90 days free telephone support window, you can call and insist that they clarify why this is happening, and when a fix is expected, along with any additional work-arounds they may have developed.

Jan 25, 2022 10:11 AM in response to Exasky

<< My MacBook Pro has an Intel chip >>

That does not make a difference. The software was completely re-structured to accommodate the M1 computer architecture and different possible ThunderBolt controller chips. The software appears to have some bugs

With an Intel chip, you have the luxury of being able to re-Install your old MacOS software, if you prefer. But you MUST have a complete, Trusted Backup to proceed.

38wn95c-w thunderbolt port issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.