Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting iCloud backup to store docs on my Mac like before

My iCloud backup has started keeping all docs on my iCloud instead of my Mac and has to download them if I want to use them, which slows everything down. It used to be that they were stored in both places and merely synced--How do I go back to that?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 11:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2022 2:18 PM

Hello Teacherblack,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. Your files are not being stored locally on your Mac and need to be downloaded each time. Right?

It sounds like you may have 'Optimize Mac Storage' enabled in your iCloud preferences. This will help free up Mac storage space but in your case, you may wish to disable this setting if you have enough storage available. Information about this and other iCloud preferences can be found in Change iCloud preferences for your Apple ID on Mac.

Have a great day!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2022 2:18 PM in response to Teacherblack

Hello Teacherblack,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. Your files are not being stored locally on your Mac and need to be downloaded each time. Right?

It sounds like you may have 'Optimize Mac Storage' enabled in your iCloud preferences. This will help free up Mac storage space but in your case, you may wish to disable this setting if you have enough storage available. Information about this and other iCloud preferences can be found in Change iCloud preferences for your Apple ID on Mac.

Have a great day!

Getting iCloud backup to store docs on my Mac like before

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.