Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio dropout problems with MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021), Behringer UMC204HD USB audio interface

Been having audio dropout problems with my brand new M1 MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021), Monterey 12.1 and my Behringer UMC204USB audio interface (USB2). No dropouts using internal speakers or the built-in headphone output. And NEVER had any problems using this Behringer interface with my old Late 2013 MacBook Pro. Dropouts occur with the interface connected via an Apple USB-C to USB Adapter or via a 3rd party hub, no difference.

After spending a lot of money on this new computer I'm pretty disgusted to have such basic problems, especially when Apple prides itself on MacBooks being the supposedly best for audio and video work.

I've seen older posts elsewhere about the T2 chip being the culprit?

Should I just get a newer interface that supports USB3.0 or USB-C?

Any other solutions?

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 11:23 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Feb 7, 2022 11:58 AM in response to melissa_m77

Thanks Melissa. I tried a different user account and no audio problems with that. Though I think that was due to low memory usage in that account rather than account specific issues.

After more investigation the problem seems to occur only when Memory Pressure (in Activity Monitor) is yellow, especially when I have Windows 11 running in a VM , which uses a lot of memory and takes Memory Pressure from green to yellow.

Though with my old Late 2013 MacBook Pro I ran it with Memory Pressure in the yellow zone all the time and never had a problem with audio dropouts.

Both systems have 16GB of RAM, which is generally enough for my normal usage other than running the VM.

I am running an external LG monitor connected via USB-C with my new system. Though I tried without any external monitor and the dropouts still occur when Memory Pressure is yellow.

Feb 13, 2022 10:12 AM in response to melissa_m77

That's not very helpful. This is an M1 MacBook Pro, so there is no way to increase memory. As I said previously, this problem NEVER occurred with my old Late 2013 MacBook Pro when I ran it with Memory Pressure in the yellow zone all the time, and with the same amount of memory as I have in my new MacBook (16GB). So seems to me this is an Apple problem or perhaps a USB-C to USB2 conversion problem.

Audio dropout problems with MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021), Behringer UMC204HD USB audio interface

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.