Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rebooting desktop iMac

I try to fully reboot my computer and when the disc utility screen comes up I run First Aid but after trying to restart it goes back to the disc utility screen and cannot go beyond that screen

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 12:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 1:30 PM

Attempt the following

Please restart the computer in Safe Mode per the directions in the  How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support link.

Note: If you are using a wireless keyboard please either plug it in using the supplied Lightning cable that shipped with it. If you are using a legacy keyboard or a third-party keyboard that does not have re-charging abilities, please use any USB keyboard. Also note that a Safe Mode restart may require you to hold down the shift key for up to 5 minutes before the computer starts in Safe Mode. You will know it is in Safe Mode when you see “Safe Mode” in the upper right of the display.

Next, please restart normally and please retest.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2022 1:30 PM in response to Sacto39

Attempt the following

Please restart the computer in Safe Mode per the directions in the  How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support link.

Note: If you are using a wireless keyboard please either plug it in using the supplied Lightning cable that shipped with it. If you are using a legacy keyboard or a third-party keyboard that does not have re-charging abilities, please use any USB keyboard. Also note that a Safe Mode restart may require you to hold down the shift key for up to 5 minutes before the computer starts in Safe Mode. You will know it is in Safe Mode when you see “Safe Mode” in the upper right of the display.

Next, please restart normally and please retest.

Rebooting desktop iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.