Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turn off Analytics collection on iPad

I have disabled sending analytics data to Apple, and as such do not want to waste battery, storage, etc having the system collect useless information. How do I turn off or disable the worthless function? Or is this another case of Apple deciding I will just do what I am told and accept that they know better than I what is best for me.

iPad Pro 9.7-inch WiFi, Cellular

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 6:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2022 7:04 AM

As observed and commented by others, all computers keep diagnostic and performance log information - this data being critical in analysing/diagnosing some hardware and software faults.

While this log data is automatically gathered to permit post-event analysis of faults and enable software fixes, you can choose whether or not anonymised analytics data is automatically (and securely) forwarded to Apple.

Settings > Privacy > Analytics & Improvements > Share iPad Analytics - set to OFF

Allowing data to be sent to Apple contributes to identification of issues that affect multiple users - ultimately benefiting all users; issues can be identified and fixed by way of software updates, perhaps before you have yourself suffered any issues. You can choose to not forward this data to Apple. If not forwarded, the data remains available for analysis should you ever need to call upon the help from Apple Support - who, in some situations, will use the log data to identify/pinpoint your issue.

Some other analytics data relates to security/privacy - and is used to generate iOS/iPadOS Privacy Reports. These reports are generated internally by your iPad - using data that is gathered while you are using your iPad. This data gathering/analysis can be disabled from settings - although doing so deprives you, the end user, from information that can be used to your benefit.

Settings > Privacy > App Privacy Report > Turn Off App Privacy Report

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2022 7:04 AM in response to John34s

As observed and commented by others, all computers keep diagnostic and performance log information - this data being critical in analysing/diagnosing some hardware and software faults.

While this log data is automatically gathered to permit post-event analysis of faults and enable software fixes, you can choose whether or not anonymised analytics data is automatically (and securely) forwarded to Apple.

Settings > Privacy > Analytics & Improvements > Share iPad Analytics - set to OFF

Allowing data to be sent to Apple contributes to identification of issues that affect multiple users - ultimately benefiting all users; issues can be identified and fixed by way of software updates, perhaps before you have yourself suffered any issues. You can choose to not forward this data to Apple. If not forwarded, the data remains available for analysis should you ever need to call upon the help from Apple Support - who, in some situations, will use the log data to identify/pinpoint your issue.

Some other analytics data relates to security/privacy - and is used to generate iOS/iPadOS Privacy Reports. These reports are generated internally by your iPad - using data that is gathered while you are using your iPad. This data gathering/analysis can be disabled from settings - although doing so deprives you, the end user, from information that can be used to your benefit.

Settings > Privacy > App Privacy Report > Turn Off App Privacy Report

Jan 26, 2022 2:22 PM in response to LotusPilot

At least other OS's, like windows have the decency to understand that they do not own the data or the device and the user can delete the data logs from their device, all I want is if Apple will not let me turn off something I don't want running, then let me clear what it is collecting.

I would be happy to turn it on, if and when I had an issue, so it could collect data that I could then share with support and then turn it off again. It is just that I object to the big brother attitude of having unknown data content just being collected "in case"

Turn off Analytics collection on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.