Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CD Stuck in External Superdrive - No CD in Finder

I have an external superdrive from 2012 with a cd stuck in it. I have a 2017 MacBook Pro with no USB ports so I am using a hub/dongle. I've had this problem before and the most annoying part is that the CD is not being recognized by the computer, so there is nothing to "eject" on the screen even though I know there is a CD inside of the drive. I have taken it to the genius bar and the guy did some sort of command and it came out immediately! Obviously, I should have just asked him what he had just done...but didn't.

I have tried everything including shutting down and holding the trackpad, using the Terminal command /usr/bin/drutil eject, and resetting the SMC to no avail.

I have an appointment on Friday 1/28/22 and am hoping a "genius" can help me with this but thought I'd post here as well.

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 10:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 10:18 PM

Although I do not have an external CD drive, try the following Terminal command:

drutil tray eject

Similar questions

2 replies

CD Stuck in External Superdrive - No CD in Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.