Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery Health/Capacity

Hello,

I have my iPhone 12 pro max for 1 year now and yesterday I checked my battery health and it is at 80%.. I'm shocked.. Is this normal for a phone that is only 1 year old ? I'm so disappointed...

Does apple offer any warranty for this ?

Thank you.

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 26, 2022 5:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2022 5:39 AM

That is not normal.

iPhone battery replacement

If your iPhone is covered by warranty, AppleCare+, or consumer law, we'll replace your battery at no charge. Not sure if you're covered? Check if you have AppleCare+ by entering your iPhone serial number.

If your iPhone has any damage that impairs the replacement of the battery, such as a cracked screen, that issue will need to be resolved prior to the battery replacement. In some cases, there may be a cost associated with the repair.

▷ Start a battery replacement. 

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2022 5:39 AM in response to ZanaHox

That is not normal.

iPhone battery replacement

If your iPhone is covered by warranty, AppleCare+, or consumer law, we'll replace your battery at no charge. Not sure if you're covered? Check if you have AppleCare+ by entering your iPhone serial number.

If your iPhone has any damage that impairs the replacement of the battery, such as a cracked screen, that issue will need to be resolved prior to the battery replacement. In some cases, there may be a cost associated with the repair.

▷ Start a battery replacement. 

Jan 26, 2022 7:45 AM in response to ZanaHox

If your limited warranty (or AppleCare) is still in effect and your cycles haven't reached the magic number of 500, it's considered a covered defect. If it hasn't, then there's really nothing you can do other than just live with it or get it replaced at your own cost.

Other than that, 80% after 500 cycles is a nominal rating. It's not a guarantee of performance past the end of the warranty or any extended warranty. Some batteries do wore than others, and they can easily be replaced.

Jan 26, 2022 12:57 PM in response to ZanaHox

A nominal rating of 80% after 500 cycles is all that is available.A warranty or extended warranty does not guarantee performance after the warranty expires.The battery does wear out over time, and it can be easily replaced.If your limited warranty (or AppleCare) is still active and you have not yet surpassed 500 cycles, it is considered a covered defect.In this case, you have no choice but to live with it or get it replaced at your own expense.

Jan 26, 2022 2:34 PM in response to Crispur

Crispur wrote:
A nominal rating of 80% after 500 cycles is all that is available.A warranty or extended warranty does not guarantee performance after the warranty expires.The battery does wear out over time, and it can be easily replaced.If your limited warranty (or AppleCare) is still active and you have not yet surpassed 500 cycles, it is considered a covered defect.In this case, you have no choice but to live with it or get it replaced at your own expense.

It doesn't apply to iPhones, but certainly at one time Apple had special service replacements for batteries if they were out of warranty and there was some defect or a loss of battery capacity before the nominal cycle rating. There might be a special price that was lower than the standard service price, especially when there were retail batteries that could be installed by the user. Maybe a reduced warranty (like 90 days) on the service replacement as compared to a retail battery. They don't do it any more as there aren't really any more Apple batteries that are considered user-serviceable.

Battery Health/Capacity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.