Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Payment not completed" error every time I try to use Apple Pay in Safari with TouchID

I have an Apple Card set up in Apple Pay and use it frequently on my iPhone without issue. However, I can't get it to work in Safari on my 2019 13" MacBook Pro lately and can't figure out why. When the TouchID prompt comes up it scans my fingerprint but then the modal shows "Payment not completed" with a "!" at the bottom. There are no errors about the address or name or anything else, although I have tried adding in my address a second time and that doesn't help.

I have removed the card from my MBP's settings and re-added it, I have signed out of my Apple ID and back in on the machine, and I have cleared Safari's cache and restarted the browser. I have also restarted my computer. I've done each of these things multiple times, which is kind of a pain but still isn't allowing me to use ApplePay or tell me what's wrong.

I can use it just fine on my iPhone; in fact, every time I've gotten an error about it not working in Safari on my MBP I just go to the website on my phone and can check out using ApplePay just fine there.

Any ideas on what the issue might be? My fingerprint is being scanned correctly because it's recognized when auto-filling and unlocking, etc. I have three fingerprints saved on this machine and have tried this with all three and no dice.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 26, 2022 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 9:10 PM

two more ideas.

1. create a 2nd admin account for your device and see if it works.
  2. reinstall the current macOS

Similar questions

12 replies

Jan 26, 2022 3:40 PM in response to askbarnabas

I hadn't tried turning the TouchID off and back on (since it was working for other things) but I just did and no dice, still getting the same error. I turned it off for everything, not just Apple Pay, and then cleared the cache and restarted Safari. And sorry, when I say "cleared the cache" I do mean clearing history and cache and restarting the browser... I'm a software tester and do that all day, every day. Ha.

Jan 28, 2022 11:22 AM in response to askbarnabas

This has happened on four websites in just the last week: Etsy, Roblox, Petco and Apple's own website. There have been others in the past few weeks, but I assumed until recently it was an issue with the website, not with Apple Pay on my machine. Obviously that's not likely the case, and I just tried to buy something on Apple.com again just now using Apple Pay and I still get that same error. I'm wondering if Apple Pay isn't compatible with Safari on older OS versions? I'm on Safari 15.2 but still running Catalina (I am waiting on an external drive to come in so I can clear enough space to upgrade my OS).

Feb 3, 2022 11:38 AM in response to askbarnabas

Circling back on this, I created a second user account with admin privileges and that account also was not able to use Apple Pay on Safari. I didn't want to reinstall Catalina because I was about to upgrade to Big Sur, so I went ahead and did the upgrade and...

🥁 🥁 🥁

It works now!

When I went to check out, there was a red error that said "Billing address invalid!" and nothing was selected, but I was able to select my address from the dropdown menu and once I did that the transaction went through. I wonder if there was an old or invalid address somehow stored in Apple Pay only for that version of Safari and it took upgrading the OS to clear it? That seems odd, especially since I only have one address stored for that card/in my wallet and billing settings. Anyway, thanks for the help!

"Payment not completed" error every time I try to use Apple Pay in Safari with TouchID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.