Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos can't find library - macos monterey 12.1 photos error PHPhotosErrorDomain error -1

I have an M1 Mac Mini that's less than 6 months old. Yesterday I upgraded the software to Monterey 12.1. Now Photos can't find the library PhotosLibrary.photoslibrary. I found a directory, "Photos Library.photoslibrary" that I renamed to "PhotosLibrary.photoslibrary". Now I'm get the following error: "The operation couldn’t be completed. (PHPhotosErrorDomain error -1.)." I tried creating a new library but am receiving the same "PHPotosErrorDomain error -1" error.

Thoughts?

Mac mini, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 26, 2022 9:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 7:07 PM

Renaming definitely wasn't the fix. I'm new to Mac. The last time I used Apple was in the early '80s when I was the company programmer on their Apple 2. Clicking on "/iCloud/Photos/Photos Library 2/photoslibrary" seems to have resolved the issue. At least it found a library it was happy with. It won't allow me to create nor access a previously set up library that's on the drive or on Microsoft OneDrive. I get the aforementioned error: "The operation couldn’t be completed. (PHPhotosErrorDomain error -1.)."

I consider the matter resolved. Thanks!!!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2022 7:07 PM in response to leroydouglas

Renaming definitely wasn't the fix. I'm new to Mac. The last time I used Apple was in the early '80s when I was the company programmer on their Apple 2. Clicking on "/iCloud/Photos/Photos Library 2/photoslibrary" seems to have resolved the issue. At least it found a library it was happy with. It won't allow me to create nor access a previously set up library that's on the drive or on Microsoft OneDrive. I get the aforementioned error: "The operation couldn’t be completed. (PHPhotosErrorDomain error -1.)."

I consider the matter resolved. Thanks!!!

Jan 28, 2022 8:46 AM in response to VikingGlen

I think it's working. Specifically, based on a comment by the original poster in this thread: Photos unable to open library after Catal… - Apple Community, I opened Finder and clicked on "iCloud Drive/Photos/Photos Library 2.photoslibrary". Photos immediately opened. It allowed me to import photos from somewhere (I thought it was from my iPhone, but apparently it wasn't). I noticed that all the photos from the last 3 years were missing, so I clicked on Glen's iPhone in Finder and was told that I needed to unlock my iPhone. After doing so, Photos is now importing all my photos and videos from my iPhone. This apparently is going to take awhile. I work nights and sleep days. I'm not going to sit up to see if it works. I'll check again tonight and post to the list if Photos is working. At this point I'm going to say that it is.

Jan 28, 2022 8:53 AM in response to VikingGlen

VikingGlen wrote:

PHPhotosErrorDomain error -1

can't find the library PhotosLibrary.photoslibrary. I found a directory, "Photos Library.photoslibrary" that I renamed to
"PhotosLibrary.photoslibrary".

It didn't work. The first time I tried, I received an error stating that the library couldn't be repaired. So I created a new one.

Hmmm... renaming does not seem like the way forward.

If no resolve here— I would fall back to your previous macOS from backup before the upgrade to recover terra firma.

Here you can verify everything is in order, before you proceed.

Revert your Mac to a previous macOS version
https://support.apple.com/en-lamr/guide/mac-help/mh15216/10.15/mac/10.15

restore items backed up with Time Machine

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/restore-files-mh11422/mac

The current macOS Monterey is 12.2

Photos can't find library - macos monterey 12.1 photos error PHPhotosErrorDomain error -1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.