Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to carrier unlock iPhone 7 plus when AT&T refuses (clean IMEI)

I have an AT&T iphone 7 plus. It has been used on the Cricket Wireless system (AT&T) for years. It is carrier locked to that system. I am going to India and asked for it to be unlocked and they keep telling me it can't. I use their unlock website and it says denied.

My phone has a clean IMEA, isn't under contract, is fully paid for, not stolen. Is there a way to get it unlocked quickly? I leave for India tomorrow and fighting AT&T has consumed all my available time. My last choice is to go spend $600 on a new iPhone at the local Apple store.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Jan 26, 2022 11:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2022 11:10 AM

Hennesseystealth wrote:

I have an AT&T iphone 7 plus. It has been used on the Cricket Wireless system (AT&T) for years. It is carrier locked to that system. I am going to India and asked for it to be unlocked and they keep telling me it can't. I use their unlock website and it says denied.

Cricket is NOT AT&T. Cricket uses the AT&T network, but they are a separate company.

If Cricket denied the unlock request, then it can't be unlocked. End of discussion.

The so-called unlocking services are nothing but scams. They can't unlock the phone.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2022 11:10 AM in response to Hennesseystealth

Hennesseystealth wrote:

Cricket is NOT AT&T. Cricket uses the AT&T network, but they are a separate company.

If Cricket denied the unlock request, then it can't be unlocked. End of discussion.

The so-called unlocking services are nothing but scams. They can't unlock the phone.

Jan 26, 2022 11:15 AM in response to KiltedTim

Asked Cricket to unlock. They said not our phone, call AT&T. AT&T says can't unlock because on a different carrier account (Cricket). All they do is point fingers when the Federal law says one of them is required by law to unlock the phone. I'll just pick pick up a new factory unlocked phone and deal with this when I get back in a couple of months.

Jan 26, 2022 11:22 AM in response to Hennesseystealth

Is it currently active on the Cricket network? If not, then they won't be able to see it to unlock it. If it was, but is no longer active on their network, you may have to end up signing back up with cricket and keeping the service going for 6 consecutive months in order to get it unlocked by them.

By the way, there is NO federal law requiring them to unlock the phone. You are mistaken about that.

Jan 26, 2022 3:03 PM in response to Hennesseystealth

Cricket is a wholly owned subsidiary of AT&T, which is why Cricket SIM cards work immediately on AT&T locked phones (but not Cricket locked phones with AT&T). However, it can be a nightmare trying to figure out what to do if one breaks an AT&T contract (or even just leaves after the contract terms are over) and just switches to Cricket because they don't necessarily talk to each other. Only AT&T can lock it, and it's going to be tough if they claims that their unlocking terms haven't been met yet.

Jan 26, 2022 3:19 PM in response to Hennesseystealth

My humble opinion ... others may say I am wrong ... but you are out of time ...

Buy a new unlocked iPhoneSE 64 GB from an Apple Store. It WILL be unlocked completely. $400. iPhone7 is older, might as well trade up to newer device. And your old phone *may* be tradable even with the carrier lock, but Apple will say.

Others will point out that a US iPhone only has warranty support in US. But the iPhone7 is possibly a US phone and does not have warranty in India as is.

How to carrier unlock iPhone 7 plus when AT&T refuses (clean IMEI)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.