📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound of app notifications still plays in focus modes

When I turn on my focus mode (any focus mode) on my MacBook with macOS Monterey 12.1, the banners disappear but the sound still plays. The focus modes do not have any exceptions for apps, so that is not the problem. It is quite annoying because the sounds from whatsapp, iMessage, mail apps, etc. distract me while focusing. I saw multiple other users also experiencing this problem, but there seems to be no fix yet.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jan 26, 2022 2:14 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2022 10:11 AM

I have the same problem. There is no option in the Focus Preferences to cut off sound notifications either. Such a laughing matter that do not disturb does indeed disturb.

Similar questions

8 replies

Jan 27, 2022 2:17 PM in response to jan-baptist

Hey jan-baptist,

It sounds like you're having an issue with sound notifications playing when using Focus on your Mac. We can understand wanting to look into that further. We want to help.

We'd recommend reviewing the information in this article: Set up a Focus on Mac

If you need further assistance, we'd recommend contacting Apple Support here: Get Support

Thanks!

Sound of app notifications still plays in focus modes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.