Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff8009ed41c6): Sleep transition timed out after 180 seconds while calling power state change callbacks.

My Mac has randomly restarted with the above message every 3-4 days for the last month. Last 2 days its at least twice a day that I know of. Can someone who knows what they are looking at please help? I suspect hardware but I'm not an expert.

Posted on Jan 26, 2022 8:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 9:38 AM

Well your DriveDX report looks pretty good, I did not see anything alarming in it. That means you may have something else causing the KPs.

Another simple thing to do is to disconnect any external peripherals (external HDs, printers, scanners, hubs, cameras, etc....) and run the computer. If the KP's go away that is a hint that one of the peripherals is causing the problem and then it is a matter of trial and error to find the culprit. However if the KPs continue that means it may be software.

A common cause of software caused KP's is third party software that is out of date. So that is what you should check next, verify all third party apps are up-to-date as possible.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2022 9:38 AM in response to crobin29

Well your DriveDX report looks pretty good, I did not see anything alarming in it. That means you may have something else causing the KPs.

Another simple thing to do is to disconnect any external peripherals (external HDs, printers, scanners, hubs, cameras, etc....) and run the computer. If the KP's go away that is a hint that one of the peripherals is causing the problem and then it is a matter of trial and error to find the culprit. However if the KPs continue that means it may be software.

A common cause of software caused KP's is third party software that is out of date. So that is what you should check next, verify all third party apps are up-to-date as possible.

Jan 26, 2022 9:10 PM in response to crobin29

Your computer is getting kernel Panics, which can be caused by either hardware or software. The most common causes of hardware related KP's are RAM and a failing HD.

Your iMac has 16GB of RAM, is that the original RAM that shipped with the computer? If it is great, however if you upgraded the RAM yourself please answer these 2 questions:

1. What brand of RAM did you buy?
  2. Where did you buy the RAM?

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff8009ed41c6): Sleep transition timed out after 180 seconds while calling power state change callbacks.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.